DVD scart to Plasma connection question

PVR

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My Marantz DV4100 DVD player has SCART and S-Video connection as well as CVBS. From reading some of the other messages, I understand to leave the CVBS well alone.

What I do not quite understand is, what sort of box you need to put between the DVD and the Plasma screen. What I thought of doing (after reading a lot of other peoples questions here), was use a scart lead from the SKY digibox to the DVD player, and scart again to a RGB to Component Dr Johns box (a whole new word I had never heard of until I started reading this forum). Do all scart outlets have the same connections to it, i.e. one of these boxes would always work if you have a scart outlet on the DVD?

Is that the right way to go when the plasma screen has the following connections :

RGB - Visual 1: Analog, Visual 2: Analog BNC, Visual: DVI Digital

Video- RCA, BNC and S-Video

HD/DVD/DTV/HDTV : RCA Pin (Y, Pb(Cb), Pr(Cr) )

Thanks if anyone can help me here.

Hi PVR,

you're right, void composite!
It's good enough to connect up a VCR to, but not much else.

The converter boxes require RGB, which is output by most digital TV services such as Sky. DVD players should have RGB too. But even though you've got a SCART connector on a VCR, it won't output SCART. There's a technical document on my website if you really want to know more, but I'd only recommend if you looking to wire up a SCART connector.

Once you've got an RGB source, there's several means to connect to the screen. Again, a quick look at my website gives you three options - S-Video, VGA and Component. As to which you should opt for, this really depends on what equipment you have to connect and what you want from your system.

Can you give more info?

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

Ok, here is all the information I have on the DVD:

Marantz DV4100. In the manual, it mentions the following connectivity for Video:

- Euroconnector
- S-Video (Y/C)
- Video CVBS

Sound is directly into the Marantz SR5000 via a digital connection.

My plasma choice at the moment is between the NEC MP4 and the Pioneer 433 MXEV. The connections I mentioned above are the ones from the NEC, as this is still my first choice untill I have seen both units "live".

Thanks for your input on this one, much appreciated!

Is it only the DVD player to be connected?

For the MP3 screen, you may not require any adaptor boxes - see NEC for more information. However, with the MP3 screen it has problems when connected RGB directly to the screen (wouldn't correctly format certain sources, and would have banding on others). If you do require an interface, then the RGB to Component is the one to opt for.

With the Pioneer screen, either the RGB to Plasma VGA or Component converter would be ideal.

What other equipment do you wish to connect?

All the best,

John.

Hi John,

Been away for a week, hence the delay.

The other equipment to connect is a SKY digibox and if possible my Philips VHS.

Have seen the Pioneer now, looks very good.

Regards,

PVR

Hi PVR,

the VCR can be connected to the screen directly, there's not much externally you can do to improve the picture that the screen isn't doing already.

With the DVD player, check to see if it as RGB via the Euroconnector (SCART). If so, this can be connected via one of the interface boxes. If it has two SCART connectors, you may be able to route Sky via the DVD player, reducing the cabling requirements. Although, some use manual switch boxes from Argos if there's more than one RGB source.

All the best,

John.

Hi John,

This is what the test report said in Home Cinema Choice:

>>
In addition to the aforementioned audio outputs, the DV4100 OSE gives you composite and S-video outputs, plus a pair of RGB-capable Scarts for TV and auxiliary device. These offer loopthrough functionality - when the player is in standby, the signal fed to the 'aux' Scart is passed to the 'TV' one. This is useful if your TV is running out of Scarts. The onscreen menu system, which Philips uses on its current generation of products, is very user-friendly. All the usual setup parameters are present (DRC, video output mode, aspect ratio, parental control and so on). There's also a 'black level shift', a contrast expander that only works with NTSC discs. With the multiregion hack, you might want to see if it makes a difference (it does, but it's marginal).
<<

Does that answer your question ?

Best regards,

PVR

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom