1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD: scart to component by cable possible?????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by singto, Jan 31, 2005.

1. singto

singto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I have a Yamaha DVD S-80. It only has a single scart output ( tho the menu offers signal formats of video, s-video or rgb).

I gather that to get the best picture from a plasma TV ( panny pw7) it's better to feed the screen with a component input.

So, if I use a cable with a scart on one end and component on the other will this do the trick?

Sorry to be so dumb,

Cheers

Singto

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    No, sadly it won't. Different signals and all that. Only time you can use scart to component cables is if the dvd player supports them like the Kiss dvd players.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Unfortunately it's not that simple ! RGB Scart uses Red, Green and Blue to make up a picture. Component uses YUV - Chromiance, Luminance and Colour to make up a picture which is something completely different.

There are boxes that do conversion. Keene (See Link) and JSTech (Can't remember website) do them. http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/cat/13con/13F.html

From what I've read, RGB and Component are about the same when it comes to picture quality. Where Component excels over RGB is when Progressive Scan is enabled on the DVD player meaning you need a DVD player that has Prog Scan capabilities. This provides a smoother picture with less jaggy lines. RGB prog scan is out there, but 99.99% of equipment use Component or DVI/HDMI for prog scan. I'm guessing because your DVD player doesn't have Component it wont do Prog Scan.

If you really want to use Component, I would spend that £80 on a DVD player with Component out and Prog Scan.

HTH,

Richie.

4. singto

singto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx guys......clear, understandable and appreciated.

Singto

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That assumes the deinterlacer in the DVD player is better than that in the display, while often true it isn't always the case. I've no idea in this combination of devices which would be the better one.

6. vlieg62

vlieg62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0