DVD / SACD Player, DVP-NS930

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by micks_address, Jul 7, 2003.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi folks,

Woke up this morning thinking i needed a progressive scan source for my Sony HS1 projector. Being a Sony freak and making no apologies for it :) i came across the new (ish?) Sony DVP-NS930 at

http://www.discountaudiovision.co.uk/acatalog/dvd_sony.html

I already own a DVPNS900 and its a fine player. Trouble is thats in our living room and i'm using a ps2 to view dvd's on the pj at the moment. The ps2 is ok but falls short along way of the NS900 which isn't progressive scan capable.

The new NS930 sounds like an impressive piece of kit. Anyhow in a moment of madness and after a few clicks i'd placed an order for one at discount audion vision. Has anyone has any experience with Discount Audio? I did a quick search on the forum for references but couldn't find any.

Has anyone seen or come across the NS930 dvd player? It seems to fit the bill of what i was after - multi region, progressive scan pal and ntsc.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Mick

2. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi folks,

Well i checked with Discount Audio and they charge a stonking 45GBP to deliver to Southern Ireland (Dublin) so i cancelled my order. Funds just not available this month. Ah well maybe sometime soon - anyone know an online retailer with cheaper delivery charges to dublin from the uk?

Cheers,
    Mick

3. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget that these players will still be locked region 2, don't be fooled by the "PAL and NTSC progressive scan" taglines, you will still need a multi-region machine to play R1/R3.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
  5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    My DVP NS900 is progressive scan capable for ntsc I currently use rgb though since my tv doesn't support it.

6. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Nope, sorry, the NS900 has component outputs, but that isn't the same as Progressive Scan. On the NS900 the output is always interlaced.

James

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    You're quite right my mistake:blush:

8. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hello again folks -

well after much pricing around even with the loaded delivery charge discount audio were still 70 euro cheaper than anyone else i could find so i put my order in again. The guy on the phone said i'd have my player in two days so we'll wait and see. I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a fuss about the ns930 on here as its progressive scan on pal and ntsc.. and web searches didin't turn up a lot... must be a fairly new player to market.

Anyway hopefully by the end of the week (if my fiancee doesn't kill me!) i'll be able to report back on its performance on a hs1 projector. I'm really looking forward to the progressive image - hopefully it lives up to its reputation. The only progressive image i've watched prior to this has been tekken 4 on the ps2 and that was pretty good.

Cheers,
    Mick

9. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mick

There have been a few threads on this machine over the last few months, but we're waiting for someone to test one, looks like you've volunteered!

It is a pretty new machine, went to a sony centre at the weekend and they only got it in last week. The sony guy also said they can make it multiregion in a few minutes for £30. Does this mean we can go out and buy a R2 machine with the possiblity of a remote hack sometime soon?

10. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not a handset remote hack, more likely a service remote.

Some people have claimed success with Sony DVD and Palm omniremote sending codes to the DVD. I personally tried this route loads of times, the wife thought I was going bananas, and it just wouldn't work.

So I got the remote from www.dvdchips.co.uk and it worked first time, RCE and everything I have thrown at it since.

Kind Regards,

James

11. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Sony Center havn't got them yet, and avland says due any day now. Anyone physically seen one in the UK?

12. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sony Center Leamington had one last saturday, they were selling at £299 + 30 for MR mod

13. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Well i've cancelled my order with Discount Audio - guy said the famous 'i'll have the player tomorrow line' to often and i was getting the impression that he didn't give a toss. I phoned a local Sony centre who id dealt with before and asked if they'd do a price match and they said they would. I'm going with them for peace of mind. Only downside is that i'll have to wait a week or so for the player. That mightn't be such a bad thing though as it'll be closer to pay day again!

Anyhow i'll keep you all updated when i get the player.

Cheers,
    Mick

14. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,203
    i got a Sony 905 from www.practicalhifi.co.uk and paid about £13 delivery!!

Ring the Manchester branch and speak to Martin.

15. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hate to break it to ya, but the 905 is the older model that doesn't have progressive scan component outputs.

*edit* since you don't have a TV that's progressive scan that isn't going to make any difference (i'm not even sure it will make any difference on mine TBH since the built in deinterlacing in my screen is very good apart from the chroma bug) Enjoy the 905, it's an excellent player which plays anything thrown at it, but remember to turn the "PICTURE" level down on the DVD player a notch or 2 otherwise the white level is too high and details are lost in the whites no matter how your TV is adjusted.

I wonder if the 930 will fix the chroma bug...

16. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,203
    But i was pointing out that you can get DVD player to Ireland for a cheap price!

I didn't mention anything about tech specs of the machine! :confused:

17. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    must seem like the incredible changing his mind man at this stage but i've changed my order again. Budget is tight so i was still looking around today on the net. Found the ns930 on amazon.co.uk at a price of 255GPB shipped to dublin - that works out at roughly 365 euro which is 55 euro cheaper than my Sony centre could offer. I've ordered the player on amazon. It had a 1-2 weeks shipping estimate... so hopefully i'll have it by the end of the month!

Anyway i hope i get one eventually!

I tried practical hifi mjn and their best price was 275GPB shipped to dublin....

Cheers,
    Mick

18. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,203
    ok, no problems......i use them as i've had stuff shipped to Dublin from them before and always get a good price and helpful service.

19. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the NS930 from Amazon Multi-Region???
    It does not say it is on the website.

20. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    probably not multi region but i have a friend with a palm pilot with the hex codes programmed into it to make the player multi region. i used it on my ns900 - hopefully the codes will be the same for the ns930!

21. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    i folks --

well i finally got my hands on a Sony ns930 today. In the end my local Sony centre came through - 420 euro and they made it multiregion which saves me the hassle of doing it myself

First impressions of the player are excellent. I've got it connected to a Sony hs1 projector and to my eyes the picture in progressive mode beats my ns900 ouputting interlaced component hands down.

So far watched some of the fellowhip of the ring extended edition and everything just seems so much clearer on the projector. Before i would have always played dvd's on my phillips 28" widescreen for best image but now i think the projector is getting very close to that quality.

I played some of Attack of the clones region 1 - its a film that looked pretty good already on my own player but it looks smoother and background details are much more apparrant when outputting progressive from the ns930. I don't think i'll be going back to interlaced on the projector!

I seen things on both attack of the clones and the lord of the rings that i hadn't noticed before just fine detail in the forests - flowers - writing alls seem much clearer

The other disk i watched some of was the Matrix. I'd watched this on my ps2 the other day the difference in quality on the ns930 is astounding!

Anyway all i can say is that i'm a happy man. When i think what i paid for my ns900 and the current price of ns905's (600+ euro in the sony centre today) i think the player is excellent value for money. The one gripe i'd have is the remote. There was a nice silver jobby with the ns900 but the one with the ns930 is the standard balck one. Ah well i suppose if their going to cut costs something has to give

Right i'm off to watch something else before the other half gets home from work - hope she doesn't spot the player for a while - unauthorised purchase!

Cheers,
    Mick