Dvd-rw Vr And Video Mode

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JIM HARKNESS, Jun 18, 2003.

1. JIM HARKNESS

JIM HARKNESS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a newbie to DVD recording please be gentle with me if this is a stupid question.
    I have recently aquired a multi DVD writer that writes to DVD-R DVD-RW and RAM.
    The problem I have is that if I write to DVD-RW non of the recordings play in a DVD-RW compatible player. The recordings play OK in the DVD drive.
    I understand that there are two modes for DVD-RW, VR and VIDEO. I can only assume that I am writing to VR and not VIDEO mode. What do I need to do to either format the disc or re configure the drive so that the discs will play in a home player.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have been using Datawrite yellow top DVD-RW Media

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

DVD-RW and DVD-R when written to using a PC only ever get written to using the DVD Video format, that is as long as you use software designed for that. For example dragging and dropping the Video folders onto a DVD-RW using packet writing software will not work.

What software are you using to create the DVD-RW?

The DVD-RW VR mode is used in set-top recorders to allow for real-time recording features.

Do DVD-Rs work? If they do and you use the exact same process for DVD-RW and they do not, then your player may not like DVD-RW. You could try different media to see if that helps.

Regards

Philip

3. JIM HARKNESS

JIM HARKNESS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Philip

Thanks for the reply.

I think you might be right in suggesting that my player does not like DVD-RW material.

I have used DVDXCopy to make back up copys of my DVD,s and this works fine with DVD-R material,which plays fine on my player, and also copies fine to DVD-RW but these discs wont play on my player.
    I also use Smart Ripper and Nero 5.5.

Regards

Jim

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Jim,

Check out http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers and do a search for your DVD player - there might be a work around etc you need to do to get DVD-RWs to play properly.

To get DVD-RW in 'Video Mode' you should write to it as though it was a DVD-R, i.e. you want to ensure the correct file structure with .VOBs etc. If DVDXCOPY works fine when recording to DVD-Rs then it suggests compatibility is the problem (and not file structure) for which see the link above. You might also want to try different types of DVD-RW media, i.e. Pioneer or TDK disks as your player might just not 'like' some types of media.

Another alternative is, if DVDXCOPY allows you too (I have never used it), is to output to a 'Title Set' (i.e. the DVD files copied to your HDD). You could then use the DVD Video wizard in Nero and see if you have anymore luck.

5. JIM HARKNESS

JIM HARKNESS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak
    Thanks for the suggestions and website info. i will try these suggestions and hope to have more luck

Cheers

Jim