1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW to PC probs.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by toner_monkey, May 2, 2004.

1. toner_monkey

toner_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have approx. 40 DVD-RW with films on that I recorded on my JVC DR-M1 in VR mode.

I want to transfer them to DVD-r disks on my pc using my LG-4040B burner.

I have done this many times in the past using RAM disks without a problem using TMPG etc.

However, when I insert the -RW disk into the burner windows XP only allows me to explore 3 of the 40 disks. These 3 are recognised as JVC UDF format and the rest it thinks are DVD-RW but shows them as RAW format and wont allow me to read them.

The strange thing is they all play perfectly in PowerDVD even though windows shows them as being empty. Two of the three that play are TDK and one is a Datawrite, however I have several others of the same brands that wont read.

Is this likely to just be a disk compatibility problem as I have read that the LG-4040 is pretty fussy on media or does the JVC vary in the way it writes .vro to -RW using UDF which could cause a problem.

Any help would be appreciated as I am running out of ideas.

"You are my only hope" as Princess Leia once said in a film.

Thanks in advance

2. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As part of the "I hate XP camp" I'd say try another operating system that works!

I have the JVC, LG DVD-ROM and if you record in -VR mode on -RW then in Windows (98SE) it should always show up as JVC UDF format.

Now saying that I've had ones that in Windows think they are CD-Roms but unlike yours they were still not seen by PowerDVD.

I would have thought the LG4040 would have some UDF reading software installed, I have to use InstantRead on a ROM. I've heard that XP is supposed to read UDF in native mode.

I think you with also find that the writer in the JVC is an LG RAM drive so things should be compatiable. Also the JVC is normally the most fussy about media.

As the same brand work it could be either the OS/Drivers or quality of the discs (BulkPak???)

Actually if they work OK under PowerDVD then it must be the OS/drivers as I think most newer DVD software uses its own driver for reading UDF format.

3. toner_monkey

toner_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply,

However I realised 3.00 a.m Saturday night that the disks I had problems with weren`t finalised !

God I must be dense.

Just goes to show to check the basics !!!

4. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they are VR mode disc they don't need to be finialised???

I only finialise Video mode discs so they can be seen by Windows.

In VR mode there are always a few files that "grow" when with the right software the files should always be seen.

5. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes they do! Certainly on my machine - Sony GX3. If I record in VR mode and insert the disc in my Panny DVD-RAM burner, TPMG Author just won't "see it" but, as sonn as I finalise, there it is, just like a RAM disc and the DVD-RTAV file is immediately available.

6. toner_monkey

toner_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite right Northerner,

VR format disks only show up on XP when finalised. Until they are finalised the disk in the burner are not accessable, however I was thrown by the fact that PowerDVD would read them unfinalised.

Still shows that I`m dense though.

7. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said "XP" - its the non standard way Microsoft program code. I thought the idea of UDF from the early CD days was that it is like a HD and doesn't need to be finalised just use the *correct* reading software normally included in things like PowerDVD.

8. tjdmobile

tjdmobile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, just last night I got the -RW disk from my new Pioneer DVR-220-s in VR mode to work in my PC with NO FINALIZATION whatsoever. Record, eject, put in PC and begin editing.

All that I had to do was: Disable my packet writing software that came with my DVD+-RW drives. Installed InstantRead. Reboot, login, once all is ready, popped the packet written disk from the Pioneer (again, not finalized). Clicked the directory, found all the files. I can copy them to my hard disk, but I don't bother. I edit in TMPGEnc DVD.

So now, I have no idea why I would ever finalize another DVD-VR disk. Even with finalizing, I couldn't access the disk from XP until I did what I showed above.

Good luck!

TJD