DVD-RW/+RW - essential or am I missing something?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by peter l, Jan 25, 2005.

1. peter l

peter l

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps you clever people would enlighten me on this vexing issue.

Why would anyone want a DVD player without DVD-RW or DVD+RW capability?

Let's say you record a programme off TV, or someone else does for you. Presumably, you would use a DVD-RW or +RW, if you were only watching the recording once, so that you could re-use the DVD. I mean no-one would ever have wanted a VCR tape that you could only use once, right?

So the kindly person gives you the recording on a DVD-RW for example, but you have a Toshiba SD340 or a Panasonic DVDS47 (both 70 at Richer), both excellent players by all accounts and, oh dear, you find that you cannot play the recording.

Am I over-simplifying the situation?

By the way, I was considering buying one of the two players above or maybe even the Tosh SD240 or Panasonic DVDS27 (both 40 at Richer). But should I reconsider?

2. Binternet

Binternet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The tosh 240 will play DVD-RW, and I assume that the other 3 will as well. The manufacturer may not list it but they probably will.

3. peter l

peter l

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Binternet, I might just get that Tosh SD240 (multiregion) from Richer then. At £40 it seems a bit of a bargain.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Peter - but if you have recorded it on this media then you have the recorder which would also be able to play it.

I have no idea if my DVD player does or doesn't support either of these formats and to me it wasnt an issue as I do not own a DVD Recorder (and if I did I could just use it to play them)

Are there many DVD recorders out there who's playback ability is significantly worse for their own DVD-RW than their recording abilities? I would doubt it

5. peter l

peter l

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Astaroth, I appreciate that many people buy a DVD player purely to play prerecorded DVDs.

I am thinking of buying one of the earlier mentioned players for my children's use and I am holding out for the upcoming Tosh RDXS34 recorder. I suppose I just want as much flexibility/capability as seems sensible.