DVD RW problem with Panny EX75

O

openskies

Hi,

I hope someone can help here.

I have tried inserting a DVD-RW and a DVD+RW disk into the recorder in order to record off the HDD. In each case I was told that the disk needed formatting, but I didn't get an on-screen option to format the disk as the instruction manual suggests. Going to other functions did not show the DVD management option mentioned in the manual.

When I inserted the disks into my laptop DVD-RAM drive neither required formatting.

Can anyone advise me how to get these disks recognised so that I can record onto them?

I have had no problem recording onto DVD-Rs.

Thanks for any help.

Openskies

Gavtech

Administrator
I think the Selected drive has to be the DVD for the Disk managment option to be available.

Try switching the machine off and then on again - then select the DVD as the 'Drive' if necessary ... then try inserting a disk and see if you get the option to Format in 'Disk management.

If possible do not put disks into your laptop DVD RAM drive before putting them in your DVDR - Things can get changed.

O

openskies

Thanks for this - I will try this out and make sure the disks haven't been in the laptop.

One other question - I was hoping to use the DVD-RWs to record from the HDD and then transfer onto my laptop. That sounds like it's not such a good idea if I can't insert the disks into the laptop first - any other solutions on how I achieve this? I don't particularly want to use RAM as I will have to change the format of the recording.

ChainsawDude

Novice Member
One other question - I was hoping to use the DVD-RWs to record from the HDD and then transfer onto my laptop. That sounds like it's not such a good idea if I can't insert the disks into the laptop first - any other solutions on how I achieve this? I don't particularly want to use RAM as I will have to change the format of the recording.
Whenever I have had difficulty with a DVD+RW, I do a full erase of the DVD+RW on the PC and then it works in the Panny.

I transfer loads to my laptop with DVD-RAM, it works better than dvd+rw as the picture format is correct. The format will not be correct with DVD+RW due to the WSS problem, oops sorry, not supposed to call it a problem.

O

openskies

Thanks for the advice ChainsawDude. But when I transfer on DVD RAM the file isn't recognised by Roxio or Windows Media, presumably because I need a vro capable video player product. I was hoping to avoid paying for one of these. Is this realistically a lost hope?!

Speedee

Standard Member
Whenever I have had difficulty with a DVD+RW, I do a full erase of the DVD+RW on the PC and then it works in the Panny.

I transfer loads to my laptop with DVD-RAM, it works better than dvd+rw as the picture format is correct. The format will not be correct with DVD+RW due to the WSS problem, oops sorry, not supposed to call it a problem.
Hi
Could you tell me what you mean by WSS :confused:

Thanks

Speedee :)

Gerry

WSS relates to the WideScreen Flag(16:9). When you record from the panny onto DVD +/- R(RW) the recorder does not set the widescreen flag and so when you play it back on a dvd player you have to set the screen format manually, not really a big deal. I use DVD +RW all the time as I do not have a DVD-Ram drive on the PC. As has been stated once you format the disk first and finalise it in the panny after recording it works fine in the PC's DVD drive.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom