DVD RW+ errors with Philips 880

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AlanDL, Jul 8, 2004.

1. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that this machine is rubbish, and I am waiting to buy a HDD/DVD Recorder with digital tuner, but they don't exist yet.

But RW+ disks that have worked once or twice already are now producing multiple disk errors when recording, making playback a nightmare. I can see no scratches (well, a few); could it be this crappy machine somehow burning the disk too much? It doesn't create errors on all disks, and it has done it on Philips branded disks as well as cheaper varieties. I long ago gave up using +Rs, as the +RWs came down so much in price; I thought my days of creating coasters was over.

Also the machine doesn't seem to want to do much until it has warmed up (even though it is definitely an AV device and not an oven!). Or maybe its confused.

Sorry if this just seems like another 880 tale of woe; and no I haven't sent it back for modifications, I was holding out until buying a new machine when I could give it away to one of my worst enemies.

Help please!

2. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Are you aware that the warranty on these machines has been extended to 2 years, so if yours is less than 2 years old then send it back. I agree, they are the most unreliable piece of crap ive ever owned.

3. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. Do I have to go through my retailer, or can I deal direct with Philips. I will send it back, but want to wait until I have a thin film-recording space in Sky diary: I am so cheap.

4. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just phoned Philips Customer Care, and they deny extension of the warranty. I have to send a letter explaining myself (I know its my fault for buying their machine, and all I can say is how sorry I am). No doubt the letter will be not readable at Philips.

5. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I bought my 880 from Hispek.co.uk, and when it had its 3rd repair I said I wanted a new machine, given this ones track record and the fact that the warranty only had a few days left to run. I was then contacted by hispek and told that this machine had a 2 year warranty, extended by philips due to the "teething problems" they've had. May be worth contacting hispek to confirm the warranty issue. Good luck!
    PS philips customer care are a joke. They tried to tell me that they were completely unaware of any problems with their dvd recorders, and that there was no such thing as a firmware upgrade! After 10 minutes argueing I finally got to speak to a supervisor, who gave me philips down loading address and told me how to do a firmware upgrade!

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Hi

A common problem and many have said the warranty was increased by Philips.

Two problems have made +RW very unreliable on set-top recorders, the first being faulty components on models of Philips units and their clones. The other problem is the nature of Phase Change material on RW discs, it isn't all that reliable full stop and it doesn't take long before bad sectors appear simply after a few rewrites. This is why both DVD-RAM and DVD-RW (by default) use the VR recording mode as that allows it to use a file system that supports defect management. +RW on the other hand, being shackled by the read-once format of DVD Video can not use defect management, and bad sectors on DVD Video discs can easily mean interrupted playback. You will not be surprised that the most used area on +RW discs is the Table of Contents so this gets worn the quickest and leads to a completely lost recording.

+RW on set-top recorders is never going to be that robust.

Remember that your retailer can be held liable for faulty goods up to 6 years after purchase in the UK so all isn't lost if Philips refuse to help.

Regards

Philip