DVD RW Disks more than 4.7GB?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pod Person, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to dvd recorders and was wondering if its possible to get higher capacity disks than 4.7GB. I would like to have the ability to record 3 hours in sp mode when I eventually buy the Panasonic DMRE50.
    Sorry if it's a basic question but advice would be welcome.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Not at the moment. You can get double sided disks (which are 9.4GB) but these are just like two 'normal' disks stuck together.

Dual layer DVDRs are on the way - but it remains to be seen how compatible, reliable and cheap they will be. All existing DVDR hardware will be unable to record to these disks so you would need a machine designed for this purpose. Dual layer machines will likely arrive around the same time as BluRay recorders meaning they will have a relatively short shelf life IMHO.

3. 7MAT

7MAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The trouble with DVD-R 9.4GB flippers are that they are very expensive. PM me if you want to know where to get some!

Dual layer DVD+Rs are on the way, Pioneer has also announced that they will be producing a dual layer DVD-R media. But rumours are that DVD+R will come out first by some margin.

Also rumours have it that the lastest DVD+R drives (those that can support the new 8x and 16x speed media will only require a firmware upgrade to use dual layer.

Sony have just launched blueray for professional users in Europe under the name XD-CAM. So far no manufacturer intends to launch blueray for consumer use. So dual layer is the way to go!

The next DVD format will use holographic technology and will offer much more capacity of blueray.

7MAT

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Pioneer never announces products until immediately prior to release. Take their development of the DBI chipset for example. A ground breaking product announced only two months prior to wide-scale availability. The specifications for dual layer DVD-R are already set - which in itself is an indication that considerable progress has been made:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=4206

That is impossible. The technology used is totally different. The laser has to be repositioned. The current drives physically do not have the ability to do this. At the very least you would have to take your drive in to a service centre, have several core components changed and a firmware upgrade. Needless to say given cost factors this simply won't happen.

Your getting confused by various press releases. There are a number of variants of BluRay - three, from Sony, Pioneer, JVC and Panasonic, are already being used in consumer use. It is these variants that are scheduled to be launched here in 2005:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=4215

5. 7MAT

7MAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Rasczak.

All my information comes direct from the manufacturers and not websites.

7MAT

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Then you have definetly misunderstood. I can assure you that it is extremely unlikely unless hardware modifications are made - you can imagine how unlikely this is. Certainly I get round the various shows and aside from writing 4.7GB to 8.5GB disks this has never been proposed.

On a similar note remember Philips told initial takeup users whose drives could not write to DVD+Rs, would be upgradeable to write to DVD+Rs - but it never happened.