DVD+-RW Discs

K

kennylam

How many times can a DVD+-RW Disc record usually? I've got 10 discs and they all die after recording a few times....

Mike Groves

kennylam said:
How many times can a DVD+-RW Disc record usually? I've got 10 discs and they all die after recording a few times....
I'm sure it will depend on the brand. I've been using some Verbatim +RW discs (admittedly on the PC) for some time now & they have been re-recorded many times now with no sign of problems.

I'd say avoid the cheap brands, especially if the disc contents are important to you.

dvdnoddy

I have a Sony RDR-GXD500 and have used Verbatim DVD+RW (2.4 and 4x speed) which have worked well even though they are over 2 years old (I used them before on the PC). I also use Verbatim DVD+R (8x speed) which also work well.

I would avoid Philips disc's as I have had 3 out of 5 TDK DVD+RW Scratch Proof disc's (Based on a Philips Disc) get errors and then fail (neither Sony or my PC Writer could reformat the disc's) after just 10 months. I have also got a friend at work who has had problems with Philips DVD+RW disc's.

I don't really use DVD-RW very (only the occasionally for Chase Playback) so I can't comment.

M

mildred

dvdnoddy said:
I would avoid Philips disc's as I have had 3 out of 5 TDK DVD+RW Scratch Proof disc's (Based on a Philips Disc) get errors and then fail (neither Sony or my PC Writer could reformat the disc's) after just 10 months. I have also got a friend at work who has had problems with Philips DVD+RW disc's.

I only use Philips DVD+RW discs and have several discs from when they were first introduced many years ago, and all still work fine today, and that is with scratches.

Looks like the anti-Philips brigade are back :lesson:

bluraymond

Check Wilkinsons store out, they're doing a buy one get one free on
5 pack maxell DVD+-/rw 10 disc for the price of £6.99:thumbsup:

Gavtech

Administrator
One of the problems with RW disks is because by definition of their use they are used more than conventional disks they suffer more use damage and thumbprints.
Treat them like delicate glass. Maybe these days that should be: treat them like RW DVD's.

For the record I've been using Tesco branded RW's with a Panasonic EH60D for certain applications with only the occasional hiccup.

bradavon78

In theory you can erase an RW (plus, minus or CD-RW) 1000 times but it depends in reality how you use it.

I prefer to think years and mine tend to last a couple of years each. I don't tend to erase/reburn that often and I NEVER ever use Multi-session as that always equals a mess.

I only ever burn once to CD-R/DVD-R and therefore think before I burn to it.

Are you using cheap discs? As a few times something is definitely wrong.

kennylam said:
Thanks guys..... all of my discs are from TDK...:mad:
How are you burning them? Are you using Mult-session? Do you use Windows Explorer or a proper DVD Burning tool? Have you tried erasing the disc and starting again?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom