1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW Compatability Issues

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by loxley80, Dec 17, 2004.

1. loxley80

loxley80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

After a lot of research i recently bought a Pioneer 220 multi-region Player for £199. Absolutely superb machine. Extremely pleased with it.

I am now trying to find a basic player that can cope with finalised DVD-RW discs. I;ve been done my local Asa tried the Pacific 1002 mk2 (as they had no others) and although its a really nice machine for the price, it doesn't read the DVD-RWs i put in it. This is important to me as i don't want to keep buring DVD-R's in order to watch them on another player in the house, or at a friends.

I'm sure others want the same, so can anybody suggest a basic player that will cope with DVD-RW's. Ideally if you own a Pioneer 220 and use another player to play your DVD-RW's on, that would be great.

Thanks for your help

Brad

2. Barny79

Barny79
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Where did you get the Pioneer 220 from? Looking to get one for my dad for xmas

3. loxley80

loxley80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.digital-point.co.uk. Fast delivery, so hopefully you'll get it in time for xmas. I recommend this DVR - its brilliant (just need to find a decent player to play CD-RW's on now!).

Play.om have the Ronon at £35 and it says its DVD-RW compatable - anyone know if this will work?

Thanks

4. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Pioneer 220s and finalized discs play fine on my pioneer DV-454 player (as you'd expect although it is a 2yr old player) and also on a cyberhome 400 DVD Player I've bought my son for christmas.

I have tested the cyberhome 400 with -R and -RW discs recorded and finalised on the 220s and it appears to play both fine. I would have to say I haven't watched any films through to the end but the short test I did on both -R and -RW worked fine.

Maybe other cyerhome players would also work fine. I got the 400 from WHSMith who had piles of them a month ago for £39.99 - very small neat unit with very good picture quality and can be made multi-region with a remote hack which was very easy to do.

Another option would be to pick up a 2nd hand Pioneer player, the DV350 I think was the same as my DV-454 but only had co-ax digi sound out instead of both coax and optical out like the DV-454.

I too am chuffed with the Pioneer 220s and I hope the above helps.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Comet are advertising a Sony 'multi format' DVD player at £70 today, model DVPNS355.

6. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found that players (I've got errr 13 including portables and PC's) can be very fussy regarding the quality of the disc.

The big name brands tend to be fine and so do the top bulk packs (Ritek 04 ink I think - can anyone verify that).

The other thing to check (as I did it myself when I got my recorder), is are you definitely 'finishing' the disk so that it will play in players other than the machine it was recorded on. I'm not sure if this is relevant to RW's compared to -R's, but I fell for it on my E55 with -R's.

Ian

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure the finalised -RW discs you are having trouble with are recorded in VIDEO mode and not VR mode?

8. Hobo4

Hobo4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, the Sony DVPNS355 spec says +RW / -RW video & VR mode capable, currently £49.95 @ www.richersounds.com

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I have a Sony DVPNS355, and it plays my -RW discs (created on my Tosh XS-32) fine.

Mark