1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rot

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by uk-toad, Feb 1, 2003.

1. uk-toad

uk-toad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've heard this all before in relation to laserdiscs, which I was collecting for 6 years prior to moving over to DVDs which I have now been collecting for 5 years. Out of interest I have played thru a few scenes from my very first laserdisc purchase - and it is still in perfect condition.
    Disc rot may be a fact - but in over ten years of collecting I've never experienced it. I do however take care of my discs. They are treated with care and stored appropriately, in a dry atmosphere.

3. Will Hunting

Will Hunting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all of my dvd's r fine. i think it;s a hoax.

4. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I don't think it's a hoax, in fact my 1998 disc of 'Contact' is now unplayable. Apparently early in the life cycle of DVD there were some problems with the bonding of the two layers. The glue used then 'clouded' the disc, and it is now complete scrap. Nice one Warner.

If you have only recently got into DVD then I suspect most modern discs will be fine, but I have been buying since 1998 and I am quite concerned about a few of the older films in my collection.

5. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. Will Hunting

Will Hunting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    carlb, maybe it;s your player or u r not taking care of the dvds enuff.

7. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Nope, I have 4 DVD players in the house and the disc works in none. I also have all my DVD's stacked on shelving in my AV room and take great care of them.

As the link in the previous post shows, this is a well-documented issue that has been known for some time amongst DVD collectors. As I said it is not so much of an issue with current discs, but if you had been collecting since the inception of the format you would defintely have heard of this before now.

8. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    We have had the same reported problems with CD over the years. I have not experienced any problems with DVD thus far, however a few CD's that i own are now starting to discolour, although they still play back OK

9. Will Hunting

Will Hunting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do u stack them flat or vertically? u should always stack them vertically and also u r supposed 2 do this with lp's & cd's. gravity can effect them & make them warp if u stack them flat.

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the very first discs i bought was The Matrix i bought it on the day it was released in america and for the last 9 months its been unplayable it freezes and breaks into mosiac blocks among other things basically it has all the symptons of disc rot, now before anyone replies i store my discs correctly and take great care of them, i have a Toshiba SD2109 and a new player Toshiba SD220 the disc is unplayable on both of them and to make matters worse my 2 disc special edition of Dinosaur seems to be going the same way, now like i said i store and look after my discs and i believe disc rot exists, most discs will probably be fine but like all production runs its likely some poorly produced discs which will suffer from disc rot will find their way into peoples homes, i just hope some of my other earlier discs which i havent watched in ages play ok and still work, but disc rot exists its real and it is is a problem for those of us who dont want to fork out more money for a replacement

11. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I store them vertically, they are kept in pristine condition. Believe me, I've been collecting VHS, CD, LD and DVD a long time. It's not the way I treat my discs - it's disc rot and it's real.

Contact is a well-known problem disc, as is The Matrix, something to do with the glue used to bond the two layers that Warner used at their processing facility. If you want to know more you should try searching the archives on some of the American forum boards where this problem was well-documented in the late 90's.

FoxyMulder - that's exactly what happened to 'Contact' with me. It played perfectly up to a certain point, then just started breaking into a mosaic exactly as you mention. On all my players exactly the same problem at exactly the same point.

12. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is Independence Day (R1 5 star edition) another problem disc? I've noticed some problems with that...the picture randomly breaks up into green squares.

13. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Answered my own question...

One DVD website lists 18 titles known to have at least one bad batch, among them Planet of the Apes (1968), Men in Black: Collectors Edition, Independence Day and the Alien Legacy box set.

:(

14. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    As mentioned above, some cds suffered like this due to material usage. I have Depeche Mode's first cd album and this now sounds like a scrathed/pitted 78 vinyl record - wouldn't be so bad if it were a David Holmes remix disc:D A certain mastering firms were guilty of using discs that would decolour and be unplayable after a few years - can't think of their name but used gold discs.
    One would assume the same for some dvds. The most annoying thing is that no company has offered replacement at best or refund at worst.

15. Will Hunting

Will Hunting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all of u who have problems i think u all must b smokers & this is causing the problems. or maybe u have pets or children who are tampering with the dvd's when u r not looking. there could be many reasons.

16. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Okay this trolling is getting tedious now.

I don't smoke, don't have pets, and would be very surprised if my two year old could reach the first of my DVD shelves which is at a height of about 5 foot.

The problem is real, enough people have experienced it and it is well documented. I imagine you are quite new to the DVD hobby to have never heard of the problem yourself or experienced it first hand.

If you don't believe it, then fair enough, but stop your boring comments in this thread which has been trying to direct readers towards real information on the subject, as they may actually be interested.

17. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been collecting DVDs for over 5 years so I should have some dodgy discs on my shelves. I would try Contact but I have seen it before. Are there any other films that I havent seen that I could try?

18. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The main suspects are early Warner dual-layer discs - look for clouding on the disc which is usually a sign of delamination between the two layers.

19. danielzavitz

danielzavitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some early pressing of silence of the lambs and the terminator 2 disc sets had the 'dvd rot' problem. mgm never actually admitted it outright, but they did replace faulty copies. i think their official excuse was something to do with the plastic/ink reacting badly with each other.

20. Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same camp as you Will Hunting :).

DVD Rot :rotfl:.......what rubbish :rotfl:

21. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just checked my reg 2 Contact. It was bought on release about 5 years ago?. There is no clouding and I watched the first minute of each chapter and the picture was very good.
    I have only had clouding on the reg 2 Terminator, which was replaced. I could have clouding/ problems on other DVDs that I havent watched for a long time, but having checked all my oldest DVDs I cant see any problems.
    I also had a collection of laserdiscs and had no trouble with them, they now belong to forum member buns though.
    I started collecting CDs 18 years ago and have had no problems with any of those.

Maybe I am lucky, but that seems unlikely as I generaly have rotten luck.

22. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    In all my 430 DVD discs the only one I have so far had a problem with is Contact - these problems are few and far between and vary from disc to disc. Having said that, there are lots of my old movies that I haven't watched in many years so I can't be sure.

Also, the version of Contact I refer to is the Region 1 edition released in early 1998. The region 2 discs are all later and I wouldn't expect to see the same problems as Warner supposedly refined their manufacturing methods after the common issues with the original R1 pressing of Contact. In their defence, I seem to remember they did offer discs for replacement where the problem had occured, but mine had not developed the problem at the time. Typical... :D

23. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think this would be the ideal symptom to look for as I have many DVDs with clouding and it has never affected playback :) Unless of course they're all gonna stop working soon :( Or I've misinterpreted what clouding is.

24. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Here's a snippet from a post on one of the US forums:

25. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you're saying only worry about clouding on early disks, circa 1998?

26. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a single guy and i don't smoke nor have pets sheeeesh will hunting ur pretty condescending to say the least, just because u havent experienced it doesnt mean the problem isnt real and exists

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    He probably doesn't believe in syphillis either on that basis :clap:

28. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think horizontally is the word you are looking for :smashin: :D

29. Will Hunting

Will Hunting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    carl y u call me a troll? i;m offering suggestoins & u call me names. i hav not called u names.

i never say [porblem don;t exist i just say it cud b other things.

if carl been collecting for years then y not more of his dvds r faulty? maybe just unlucky with 1 or 2.

like sum1 say earlier, there is suposed 2 b cd rot but i have had cd's for years & i never have problm with any cd;s.

maybe dvd's r different because of layers. maybe not. i'm just saying can't jump 2 conclusoins. even last guy carl quote mention humidity. so many things it coudl be.

30. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Will,

If your suggestions were actually meant to be productive then I apologise unreservedly. However, your grammatical style is somewhat unusual for these boards and doesn't do you any favours.

When I alluded to the fact that I look after my discs and I have been collecting for a long time, I was hoping you would infer that I have considered all these aspects and that I know what I am doing. However, you did not and persisted with your dogged determination to present the problem as an issue of my doing, depsite documentation and other evidence to the contrary.

Once again, if you were trying to help I apologise, but your tone will not serve you well on these boards when I (and others) have noted that your remarks can easily be construed as condescending.