1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rot !

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ukpete, Nov 26, 2004.

1. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Has anybody else ever experienced DVD Rot ?. Does it really exist ?

I just tried to play my Terminator Special edition DVD and on chapter 15 it crapped out. When I look at the disc it has what I can only describe as smooth patches and strange markings. These markings are on both disc 1 and disc 2, both of which have been kept in my living room and away from any sources of heat or damp. AS far as I'm aware its an original dis and not a pirate. The disc has only been played a couple of times and always handled with great care. There's no way this has been caused by mis use, so how can this happen.

2. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I also experienced this with my Terminator special edition DVD, and yes it was on both disks. I have also had this with Ronin, and Robocop 1 (part of the trilogy pack) - all MGM dual layer disks!

I have since replaced all of these and so far they seem to be okay. I think it's something to do with the way the disks are stuck together and obviously MGM don't do it very well. Who said DVD's were forever eh!

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had exactly the same problem with my Terminator Disc :( and used Disc Doctor on it and repaired the disc now it plays Ok :)

John

4. Jbev

Jbev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This has been a problem for a while. I have not had the problem on these discs myself but have read that MGM have acknowledged the problem and if you contact them they will send you replacement discs. I assume you would go through Customer Services.

This is a common problem. Try a Google search on the titles, this may give you an address to write to or a number to call.

Joel

5. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having done a bit of digging around it seems like a known manufacturing problem with the two disc special editions of "Terminator" and "Silence of the lambs".

soz for the duplicate thread

Pete

6. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
  7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think they will replace them even if i have repaired them? :D

John

8. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whaen did you buy your defective terminator discs????

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was bought when they released the new remastered "Terminator" 2 disc set.

John

10. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I found that both mt Terminator Discs were misty and Tacky to touch and totally un-playable. I cleaned both discs in warm water, and then gave them a good rinse using Mr Muscle Window & glas cleaner.

That did the trick and both now play 100% problem free. I've only just read that its a common fault on these discs (Missus got the blame for using Furniture polish & smoking at first) and that the problem may re-occur.

Time for a replacement then. :lease:

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent Job, and i wasted my money on a Disc Doctor when all i needed was a bit of Mr Muscle!!

John :)

12. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I had the same problem with my Terminator and SotL discs, but I just took them back to the shop from where I had bought them (even though it had been well over 6 months from date of purchase) and the very nice people at WHSmiths replaced them for me, possibly because I was spending about £80p/w in the shop.

The bloke in the shop suggested putting a bit of greaseproof paper between the discs as had been told that the printing on the back of the discs facing each other caused some sort of reaction in the make-up of the discs.

I'm no chemist or whatever so I don't know if this is true.

13. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    hmm i lent my copy of shrek (region 1) to a friend, and since it came back, the widescreen side breaks up and pauses during the ninja scene every time i play it on my pioneer dv717 but it's ok on other dvd players.. very strange. There appears to be some sort of watery mark on the disc but it doesnt come off..

14. SCoomby

SCoomby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My Shrek Region 1 is knackered as well and I haven't let any borrow it. It had loads of problems with my Pioneer 717 DVD Player but does work much better in my Pioneer 668 DVD Player. Still has the occasional glitch though :(

15. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    ah well it sounds like a manufacturing fault then, shame i got it about 4 years ago, i doubt i can get it changed now..

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    Do you have any ideas about other MGM disc? I got round to finishing my Outer Limits collection last weekR1 (60’s original series) and one of the disc although looks absolutely perfect and handled with extreme care, on The Brain of Colonel Barham skips chapters and is blocky for some of the rest the purchase has just gone over a year by about a month.

17. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I have got a few dvd rotten discs and they seems to be always the silver double sided DVDs. I hate those bloody discs :thumbsdow

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    That’s what mine is gold on one side silver on the other, may not been as bad but they put 5 episodes on one the final disc, 4 on one side (the silver side) and one on the other. The silver side is the swine, and sometimes it does not even load.
    Who ever mastered them did not give much thought to them as the other disk have 6 episodes per disc 4 on one 2 on the other, this means the only 2 parter in the entire series is on 2 different sides. :thumbsdow