1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD rot: menace or myth?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by StooMonster, Jun 11, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    “DVD rot”?

Some posters here claim they have discs suffering from “DVD rot”.

It’s claimed that “DVD rot” is the deterioration of DVDs, symptom being that discs play flawlessly when new but suddenly turning unplayable; after four or five plays of the disc.

Apparently “DVD rot” manifests as heavy MPEG pixellation and blockiness after the layer change, which is usually located about half-way through the movie. Furthermore, the disc can not be played at all from that point onwards.

They say that “DVD rot” is caused a production flaw causes oxidation on the disc, between the two layers; and that this only affects discs formatted as RSDL (Reverse Spiral Dual Layer) and manufactured by WAMO (Warner Advanced Media Organization).

Allegedly, “DVD rot” only affects Region 1 and Region 4 discs.

Here’s a link to Deterioration in Dual-Layer DVDs (even has pictures).

Does this phenomenon exist, or it a fantasy?

Some people says all rubbish and that it’s scratches causing these problems, others say that the disc just needs a good clean, or that it’s firmware CRC checks in DVD players.

Should we be worried or carefree?

Am I rotten?

My Region 1 copy of “The Matrix” – an ancient copy from first day out in USA – which has IFPL on the inside track refuses to play from halfway through the movie; on my Arcam FMJ DV27+ that is. I’ve just tried it on my antique Marantz DVD player, and it works with no problems. :confused:

I've given this disc a good wash. Is this “DVD rot” (R1, IFPL, etc) or was it scratched (can't see any) or does Arcam need to change firmware?

StooMonster

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had two films- Chicken Run & License To Kill, when bought new they worked on three expensive DVD players and a DVD-ROM. Stored properly, no scratches, not even a blemish. About a year later started to pixellate on my Sony, tried on brothers Pioneer and also pixellates, and mates Panasonic, again pixellates. Even tried DVD-ROM, same again- pixellation.

Cleaned the discs and lasers, again all players pixellate. A bit later on - say 3 months- and crashes all the players. You can't class 4 DVD players refusing to play after a year of trouble-free operation other than disc rot. Happens just after the layer change on both discs.

Luckily I got refunds. cough cough. :)

If a disc works in one, but not the another it could be two things...

1) Error checking on one DVD player is better than the other, if there is disc rot the poorer CRC checking player is failing.
    2) One is just a poorer player, however if it previously worked on that player and now is giving trouble then most likely disc rot. (unless you've updated firmware/replaced the mech since it worked last)

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a number of r2 dvd's which exhibit what I can only describe as a milky or cloudy smear when examined under a bright light. It is not dissimilar to the photos in the above link, but is no where near as serious. Playback of these disks is also as yet unaffected.

I have always assumed this is the beginings of dvd rot but this is just an assumption. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this or if any one knows what exactly it is?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Out of my collection of 600+ DVD's, I've had only one display the symptoms described above - Contact R1, which quickly became totally unplayable on any machine. Of course it's impossible to say this isn't happening to others in my collection, it's obviously difficult to keep up to date on so many! I can say though, the problem is alarmingly apparent on my old LaserDisc collection, with many, many discs falling prey to the dreaded rot lurgy :mad:

6. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  7. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this problem also. It is the Bon Jovi Live in London
    region 1 dvd. It has the cloudy stain on it and it goes blocky
    at the same spot in a certain song, sometimes freezing
    totally. It is a bit worrying, especially for family videos archived
    onto dvd. Maybe some of the magazines will investigate it
    and run an article on it.

8. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this problem on a couple of DVDs as well. I wonder if the manufactures will replace fautly DVDs?

9. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I also had Contact R1 fail with disc rot, right after the layer chage the picture breaks into a mosaic mess and then freezes completely. It was fairly well-documented with the first release of the Contact disc.

10. B Caine

B Caine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just wash "Cloudy" DVD`s in warm water and they will be ok again, I have done this to mine and all was well again, hope this helps.

11. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Hey Nath, you're good at technical support; what are your thoughts here?

I bought a new Region1 replacement of The Matrix, and it plays on Arcam FMJ DV27+.

This version of DVD does not have "IFPL" on the inside track though, and it looks a bit shoddy to me (uneven silver circle around the center and the outside). Futhermore, this version seems to be "grainier" and not as good picture as the "IFPL" version. Go figure!

So (in summary), my "first edition" of "The Matrix" Region1 won't play on my Arcam FMJ DV27+ but does play on my ancient but good Marantz player -- and I've washed the disc and it doesn't appear to be scratched, but it is a IFPL disk (identified as potential "DVD rot" candidate) -- however, a later pressing of "The Matrix" Region1 plays on both DVD players.

Perhaps I should try them both on my PCs too? :confused: I may take both versions over to RAMiAM's place and check them out on his kit.

Further strangeness is, the later version's transfer does not seem to be as good -- may have more EE applied -- but it's certainly more pixelated and worse quality image than "first edition".

This has piqued my interest, and as I have more money than sense, I've ordered the Region2 version to do a comparison of image quality.

StooMonster

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you need to try that possible faulty disc with more DVD players, you should then be able to track whether the disc or DVD player is at fault.

If the same film (of another batch) worked previously, it could either be one batch is faulty or one is slightly different on the DVD spec. I know The Matrix did cause problems with lots of players. So bloody confusing!

You could also try that disc out on another Arcam FMJ DV27+ with the same mech & firmware. If that works, it's your player. If it doesn't- it's the disc.

PC DVD-ROM have much better error checking, my Sony first showed up the pixellating, (it worked on the Pioneer at the time) Then later on it the Pioneer pixellated (and the Sony just crashed) And a month or so after - DVD-ROM had problems (Sony & Pioneer both crashed)

So when I buy discs, I play them on my Sony in the first week, as my player has the poorest CRC checking- so hopefully it'll show up disc rot earlier. If I played them on my DVD-ROM only I probably won't spot it until a year later or so.

[edit]

So if that faulty disc even pixellates on the DVD-ROM then it's DEFENTLY DVD rot. If it pixellates on several others of different brands/models then it's DEFENTLY DVD rot.

13. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Stoo: Have you checked the bit rate between the two versions of the film? It might explain the PQ if the later one is compressed more to fit on a cheaper disc.

I checked my version and it's a IFPL one. So even thought it's working perfectly I'm now expecting it to go belly up any time.:rolleyes:

14. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    "First edition" disc (IFPL one) works on RAMiAM's kit with no problems, but still doesn't play on my Arcam DV27+. Second version plays on all players.

I haven't got a problem with any other DVDs or CDs in DV27+; just this one.

Picture quality is the same on both Region 1 editions. :blush: I was comparing two different scenes "in the matrix" where the PQ does vary a lot. :eek: Apples vs oranges. Some "in the matrix" parts are really grainy past half-way point of movie, which is what I was comparing to scenes from the first half of the movie on the IFPL version. Doh!

We also compared RAMiAM's Region2 copy to my Region1 ones -- but that's a story for another post.

StooMonster