1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rot again

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by meva, Jun 2, 2001.

1. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I wrote on this forum a while back about a copy of aliens which rotted.I sent several e-mails to Fox and have had absolutely no reply from the b**st*rds.Tonight I sat down to watch my copy of the Matrix and guess what,rsdl rot again!Now I'm really ****ed off.I've decided I'm not buying any more dvds until I get at least some kind of response from Fox and Warners.If they don't give me a satisfactory response I will be doing my utmost to destroy dvd as a format and create as much bad publicity as i can.I am now of the opinion that most folk out there are better off sticking to good old vhs and going to the cinema if they want a big screen experience.

2. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...well, if people "want a big screen experience" they will have to go to the cinema in any case, won't they?!...

. . . ;) . . .

3. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are we sure that "DVD rot" is not simply a dity disc? :)
    I have a lot of discs and suffer from zero rot, but have had quite a few dirty disc ;)

good luck with your anti dvd campaign

4. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have around 130 discs and suffer with zero rot (touch wood). Maybe as Karla says they just need a good clean.
    I think you will have a job convincing us lot that DVD is a waste of time but hell good luck with this optimistic campaign :D

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Not sure if you've read past threads about this phenomenon. It's not rot like laser disc. ..

A better campaign would be to try and get decent packaging to stop this sort of damage occuring in the first place.

Gordon

6. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so what are you going to do when get a faulty VHS tape, destroy that format as well.

VHS tapes rot as well, so you are not safe with them either.

I will be sticking with the DVD format, If I have a faulty disc, I replace it. Simple as that.

I had problems with my Alien boxset here in Austrlia, took it back and got a new one. The new one works fine.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Meva: It's a pain in the behind having to be soooooo careful taking the things out the packaging. Cases with centre springs like CD cases are pretty good thgough.

I am going to use a CD carry wallet type thing for storing my dem discs in. I already have decanted our XMEN disc in to one in the shop as I was so concerned it would be trashed in the first week of ownership.

Gordon

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meva, do any of the discs affected ever stored anywhere where the temperature went above 60 degrees C ?

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I am almost 100% sure that it not "DVD ROT" but the laser in your DVD player either slightly out of alinement or dirty/faulty. Thats why it plays worse after the layer change.
    Whip the cover of your DVD player, you will see the laser lens quite clearly (small glass bubble). Use a cotton wool "Ear bud" etc dipped in some pure alcohol etc(videotape head cleaner fluids works). Wait five mins for everything to evaporate.
    If you don't fancy opening your DVD player, try the offending discs in another machine. Scratches are obviuos, but other causes of bad playback are leaving the discs near heat sources ie radiators/window sills.
    Hope the "cleaning works".....Paul

PS I have "fixed" 2 of my mates DVD players which were playing up same as yours, by cleaning the lens. They have kids that put sticky kids DVDs into the machines. So there is such thing as "KID ROT"!.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How about the possibility of a dirty / faulty laser or lens?
    How would you know you are suffering from rot, or is there any way of seeing it.

11. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm afraid dvd is about the least degradeable video format, so i think you'll have to stick with that, unless you go for non indiana lasers which are usauly fine. Tape breaks and degrades due to magnetsm for the earth, so you aint gonna protect them too well.

It has also been discussed that dual layering may be a cause of this, by an ex visitor to the board, so this could turn out to be a very bad thing. Having heardthis though, i'm quite tempted to dump some of my crap cases and get easy release ones pulp fiction bends nastily on removal, you have to be extremely careful

12. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    To CW2000,
    The discs have all been stored at room temperature in a new(ish) non damp house well away from radiators or sunlight.
    To Fulabeer,
    Both faulty discs(so far)have been played on different dvd players with (sadly)the same result.
    I'm going to try to raise some interest in the media(bbc watchdog?)about this problem.Replacing 2 discs is hardly going to bankrupt me but I think Joe Public needs to know that double layered dvd discs often need handling with extreme care.Also if the end consumer does try and kick up a fuss the studios and manufacturers will have to produce better packaging and better discs.

13. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I've calmed down since I wrote the post last night.I still want to say a couple more things.
    The discs are not dirty.Both of my faulty discs (so far) have the classic symptoms of rsdl rot i.e blocking, freezing etc just after the layer change.I bet a lot of of people have got discs which they think are fine but will be surprised when they get to the layer change.
    For the unenlightened it seems the most likely cause of this problem (as Gordon mentions)is causing slight separation of the
    disc layers when pulling the disc out of the packaging which as most dvd owners know is not always easy.Basically you should never put any flexing type pressure on a dvd i.e pulling it up from the side.The disc will be fine at first but the problem occurs slowly whilst it is in storage.I watched the Matrix a couple of times when I bought and it was fine,now it's useless.
    Frankly this level of care is absurd,I know LPs scratched,video tapes wrinkle and rot etc but with dvds you may be ruining the disc at some stage in the future just pulling it out of its case!!I should point out that all the discs in my collection are spotlessly clean and are now all kept in a cd wallet.
    I know I cant destroy dvd as a format but as the the format grows I bet this will become an increasly common problem that the studios and manufacturing plants will have to deal with.I bet there are hundreds of thousands of dvds out there in people's homes that have this problem that they are totally unaware of until they go to watch the film again.
    I could just replace the discs and take extraordinary care from now on,but the public,studios etc need to know about this problem.
    Also, I thought this forum (and website)was about achieving a big screen experience at home?