1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Ripping

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Canary_Jules, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I am producing a series of DVDs in Pinnacle with lectures on at the mo, but made a big mistake on the last DVD I produced. I got the course title wrong in the DVD menu :mad: , so all the DVDs I have copied from the master are useless. The problem is that I deleted the original files on my hard drive so I can't go back and have pinnacle recompile another master with the correct title on. So I wonder whether it would be possible to rip the master back to my drive and then import this back into Pinnacle as a movie file. I could then cut off the title sequence and add a corrected menu. Any thoughts? I've got Nero but this doesn't cover DVD ripping. So any ideas about a DVD ripper?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Jules

2. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I guess you mean the DVD titles page is wrong, not titles that you have superimposed over the video.

I would extract the MPEG2 and AC3 elements off the disc using a ripper (I use Mac the Ripper or OSeX on my Macs) there are bound to be hundreds of apps for the PC. Then re-author the DVD using these streams. This would be easy and lose no quality at all as you are using the original DVD files.

But you could convert the DVD video elements to a format that your editing software can use, but you would have lost quality because you'll have to convert the video back to Mpeg2/AC3 etc.

Good Luck.

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  4. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    That's right - it's the title screen. Thanks for the info and links.

Jules

5. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    Have used Slysoft's clonedvd2 to extract the vob files from the master and these play perfectly in powerdvd without any data loss. However, have discovered that Pinnacle doesn't recognise vob files. Is there a utility that any one recommends that will convert these back to avi? Or will this unnecessarily cause quality loss?

Jules

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Try MENUEDIT .
    It allows you to get into all the menus of a dvd and change all sorts of things.

Or...

Why do you need to convert to avi?

Just use TMPG DVD Author to convert the vob files into mpeg an simply re-author.

7. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    Thanks again for the advice. MenuEdit certainly looks promising, but do you know whether it will allow me to alter the background text as opposed to editing buttons? I need to alter "Course 2 Disk 1" to "Course 1 Disk 3". That's all.

Jules

8. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    Problem solved! Used Pinnacle to recreate the menu and then replaced the relevant vob file. Used DVDClone2 to then re-compile and burn the DVD. Easy when you finally find out how!

Thanks to all those who helped.

Jules