1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD ripped files....what file is what?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by esta56, Nov 19, 2003.

1. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just recently downloaded AnyDVD, after seeing it in action at Event II. I've seen that I can access all the files and presumably copy them to my hard drive but,.......

....what on the earth are all the files?!!

Is there a resource (or someone with knowledge) that details all the file types and what they actually contain. I see people leave out all the subtitles and language tracks but which ones are they?

Also, if you copy a group of files to your HD (I'm assuming you create a folder in the name of the film) how does the DVD software player know which file to play first and which comes second, third and so on. In otherwords how do they all link up?

:confused:

2. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi,

One of the best programs i use is DVD SHRINK, you can check it out at there forums

here

steve

3. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your seeking the "Knowledge" on anything to do with backing up DVDs etc. I recommend that you start here:

www.doom9.org

Good luck

Tony

4. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Another vote for DVDShrink here, you pop in your DVD, it analyses it and shows you each of the soundtracks, different movies, if there's WIdescreen and full frame, all options and subtitles. You select what you want to rip ie Widescreen, no extras no subtitles and DD5.1 mix and it then rips them into your selected directory, typically \<<movie name>>\VIDEO_TS\

You then point your SW DVD player at that dir and it plays it in the right order with the soundtrack. It's very easy.

Steve

6. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys for the responses.

I guess I'll have to start reading up on all the links.

It is difficult sometimes, when you don't know what your doing, to know what is competing software or complementary software eg. Does AnyDVD work with DVDShrink (inwhich case how do they interact with each other) or are they competing products (in which case I would have to look into the relative strengths and weaknesses), all takes a lot of research... :confused: