1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD RIP? - In Empire this Month

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Desticado, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Page 18 of empire this month has a worrying development on DVD Extras. Apprarently Big Arnie demanded and received $75,000 to record a commentary for the 'Total Recall' DVD.

A trend, which if it continues, could affect the amount of extras that are included upon a DVD.

My feeling is that this kind of development would be most harmful to any future-releases of 'archived' movies but less so for new ones where currently stars participate as part of their contractual obbligations to promote the movie.

This could well change though "As the matter will soon enter into union negotiation"

Just thought I'd raise this for peoples attention.

Regards.

2. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Arnie and Empire RIP

3. carldavis75

carldavis75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems at the moment Arnie is an exeption, and as a 80s throwback, would anyone dare to follw his example?
    The DVD consumer now expects extras, and has a upper limit to how much he will pay. Any difference to either will see producers losing customers, and they dont want that now do they?

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    well 'The Grinch' is the biggest selling DVD of all time...

It has NO EXTRAS worth mentioning.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Personally, I dont bother looking at the extras anyway.

Getting rid of them and using the space for better video & audio (Superbit) will do me.

I´m sure there are loads of people who watch the extras and may buy the discs because of them but its not high on my priority list, good quality audio & video is though.

Thats my opinion!!:)

6. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I totally agree with Jase. Give me a better picture and sound over extras every time.

If they insist on 'giving you' extras - why don't they do just that and include a free second DVD with the extras on. Not likely I know!

However, Disney (one company that springs to mind) have succesfully managed to release a number of titles in standard (one DVD - the film) and special addition (basically the same film DVD with an extra DVD full of features).

The consumer can then decide whether they want to pay a little extra for the special edition with the extra DVD full of extras or not.

7. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Amen, extras vs better picture and better sound ? No contest

8. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    But its not a contest. It is not about removing extras to make space for improved quality it is just about not having extras becuase of people demanding money to contribute to them.

I think the arugment for better Audio/Visual quality vs extras is actually two seperate ones.

I'd like to see all movies (well at least the good ones) produced in as high a quality as possible.

I also like many of the extras that now come on most DVD's, particularly deleted scenes and Directors commentaries. (you can ditch actors comentaries generally although there are some great ones out there). The Ridley Scott commentary on Alien is great for getting some really inciteful information about the movie, how scenes were filmed and why etc.

One of my main criteria for puchasing a DVD is that it is a 'difinitive' edition. i dont want to part with cash to find out a better/improved version is coming out in 4 months time.

The ideal in my oppinion would be to have SE and Normal editions with the SE version having an 'extras' disk maybe and people can choose which they want.

In reality though i'd say that the majority of the DVD paying public dont notice any difference in image replication and dont really care about DTS or DD soundtrack. They probably only buy the DVD because it is the newer technology.

Ultimately there is a danger that 'superbit' editions will be quite limited in availabilty for the same reasons as 'extras' will be, that it just wont make sense economically to do so.

9. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    50% of the extras on most dvds you get are !!!!, and how many times do you want to see the same mainly t.v. interviem about the making of,my first lookout on any dvd is picture format ,sound format,i must admit some of the actors com's can be amusing but once youve heard them what next

10. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think its important to keep in mind that the people on this forum are far from being a representative sample of the DVD buying public.

As for how often do you watch some of the extras etc...
    well that depends on the movie and the quality of the material.
    Same thing could be said about the movie. Why buy the movie in the first place, just how often are you going to watch it....
    I collected Videos for 10 years (at a rate of 1 per week) before moving to DVDs and in all honesty Id be hard pressed to say id watched over 25% of them more than twice.

Anyway, my original point wasnt to campaign for the preservation, improvement or restitution of 'extras'. Likewise for the quality of the audio/visual quality (and I still maintain these are two seperate issues). My point was really to raise awareness of 'changing currents' in the tide of the DVD manufacturing.

Regards

11. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see where your coming from are you saying certain actors / directors see the voice overs etc as a " gravy train " ie a way of earning extra wedge.So why should the studios pay out money when they dont need to, So eventually the extras will dissapear anyway ?
    id be interseted if anyone had a rough idea of the cost of
    a,Restoration of the film stock
    b,Additional / restoration of sound track