DVD RGB help needed ..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jonvhs, Nov 4, 2005.

1. jonvhs

jonvhs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there ..
    I've just replaced my rubbish freebie scart lead with an Ixos 601 RGB only one to connect my Panasonic DVD-S47 to my Panasonic tv to rid the problem of bleeding colours and poor picture quality in general. The question I have is this - on my DVD player setup , should I change the vieo setting from 'video' to 'RGB' ( the other option is 'S-VHS' ? I knoww it sounds obvious , but when I set it to 'RGB' , I can notice a definite yellowing of the picture and a lightening in the black regions .
    Any help would be much appreciated...

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Yes, change to RGB as leaving on 'video' will likely output a composite signal. Ensure you are connected to an RGB capable socket on your tv.

3. jonvhs

jonvhs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the swift response ... I've checked and it's connected to AV1 , which the manual says is RGB enabled .. any other possible reasons for this ?

4. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    If it is just a bit yellowish well this is what the picture from the DVD is really like, up till now you have been watching a wrong-looking picture ruined by the composite feed...what you get is pure unaltered source...well, if it's very yellow than one of the color components might be missing (bad cable, bad SCART pin connection)...

5. jonvhs

jonvhs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right ... I'll test it on several more films , and see how I get on. I think maybe having used the old cable for quite a while has obscured my perception a bit
    Cheers

6. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Try comparing the same DVD disk on your TV and on your PC...although Tv picture tends to be more contrasty...

7. JorisS

JorisS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I don't know what kind of cable you were using before, but seriously such a shocking difference isn't right... it shouldn't be like that as far as I know. Unless the cable you used before was utter crap, pardon my french ;)

When I compare the feed I have to my projector being RGB, Video or S-Video, I do see a difference, but nothing all that shocking to be honest. For that matter I still haven't seen the beneficial effects of using the progressive scan either... but I'm drifting off now.

Even if the yellow might become a bit more yellow, black = black and if it isn't that, something is wrong, simple as that. The suggestion to compare tv with computer is a good one in my opinion. Surely monitors often have different contrast, but it should give a good impression of the overall picture and colours.

It actually sounds to me like one of the colours isn't properly used. Do you have only 'RGB' settings, or is there settings along the YGrRBl or whatever it is as well? Which I'm rather newbie in, but have played around with settings enough on my own equipment to know there's definately a difference...

Experiment some more I would say, hope you get it sorted!

8. jonvhs

jonvhs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a very noticeable difference in colour when I switch the DVD menu from 'video' to 'RGB' - I've watched the same dvd on a grade 1 calibrated monitor at work , and there's definitely some colour issues going on here!!
    I'm sure the TV's picking up the RGB only feed , as it says 'AV!/RGB' when playing - maybe I've got the cable the wrong way round ( is that possible ??) , or I'll have to see if I can adjust the levels manually to get a more pleasing picture. Is this advisable ??
    Many thanks yet again ,
    Jon

9. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    Is your TV setup properly? Have you ever set it up? I would recommend getting 'Digital Video Essentials' and setting your system up properly with your new Scart. I recently bought a new 32" TV and out of the box it was pants. I set it up using the above disk and the picture is now superb. You would not believe how badly set up it was direct from the manufacturer. One of the reasons, I suspect, some people buy 'well reviewed' sets and find that the PQ is pants, then ask 'what were the reviewers on?' ;) First thing a reviewer will do is set the TV up properly.

JorisS, I'd say there is some other issue here if you find no benefit to progressive scan. There should be a noticable quality difference.

10. jonvhs

jonvhs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're absolutely right about the PQ straight out of the box. After a lot of fiddling around with colour/brightness/contrast etc , and annoying everyone else watching with me , I've got a beautiful picture while watching dvd's..
    Again many thanks everyone