1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rewritter. +/-??????

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by watchinthewheel, Jun 23, 2005.

1. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, im looking to buy a dvd rewritter some time pretty soon and was wondering what i should get? i dont relly understand what is meant by dvd-rw+ and dvd-rw-? im familiar with cd rewritters but i think this +/- thing is related to dvd only, what does it mean and which should i get? i dont want to buy a new rewritter to find it gone the way of betamax within a week!

oh and also i have seen some advertised as dual layer dvd rewritters? what does that mean?

any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,981
    Just buy a burner that writes all the formats (-R, +R, -RW, +RW), and dual layer, such as the NEC 3500.

3. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Latest NEC is the 3540A, great writer we use a lot. Dual Layer means that it can record approx 9Gb on a dual layer disk not the 4.5 of single layer DVDs. The disks are still very expensive compared to single layer though and quite difficult to find easily. That situation should change with time.

4. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice but it isnt exactly what i asked, what i meant was what are the +/-? ie what can read a -/+disk? a regular dvd player dvd rom only? whats the difference? are they basicaly the same but written differently?

5. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    is this + or - when it comes to dual layer recording?

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    The +/- is the format of the discs - similar to VHS/Betamax, but the difference is that the way the discs work rather than different size/shape. Once the disc has been written the +/- format becomes more or less irrelevent and the discs should play in just about all DVD players (if created to the DVD standards of course).
    +/- relates to both single & dual layer DVD discs.

Mark.

7. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Lets go back to basics......

The blank disks you can purchase come in lots of formats; -R -RW +R +RW RAM etc. (RAM is generally only used for PVR type applications)

The W type disks are the same as CDs, that is they can re-written. I would only reccomend these for PC applications.

Older dvd players (<18months) where either +R or -R machine, that is to say they would ONLY play that particular disk type. This was a combination of un-ratified standards (and they still aren't!) and laser focus capability) more on that later). Your best bet is to check the manufacturers website for disk type used in your player.

These blank disks vary in cost, if you search the Internet (i use www.svp.co.uk) they are approx. £4 for 25 -R disks compared to £6 for 25 +Rs. So if you player can play either than it would cheaper for you to buy and burn -R disks. (these are single layer disks).

Bought "original" dvds are dual layer and contain ~9GB of data where as single layer blanks can contain ~4.5GB of data. The dual layer is two layers of information on one disk and requires a laser refocus to pick up on the other layer. This is why sometimes you see a slight stutter on dvds ~1hr into a movie. Generally the movie studios do this at point not to affect your viewing pleasure but not always!

Therefore if you were to make a copy of them (which is illegal) then you would have to compress the original to fit onto a blank disk by ~ a factor of 2. This potentially gives a loss of picture quality.

With a blank dual layer disk there would no or very little compression to fit on to this disk.

The reason dual layer writers have not been around until recently and hence no need for dual layer disks, is the the first generation of dvd writers had lasers with a fixed focal position and could not change to burn the second layer.

There are couple of popular models about at the NEC 3520 and Pioneer 109 and expect to pay £30-£50 dependent on colour, there is a premium for black and silver! There is a new LG model (not sure of the number) is getting good write ups at the moment. Make sure you buy the 80 pin IDE cable that allows Direct Memory Addressing (DMA) which provides a more stable data path with the writer.

Check these out, I would highly recommend SVP they are both knowledgable and cheap! Their website even goes into the detail of what writer works best with which disks!

http://www.svp.co.uk/acatalog/drivescddvd.html

The one thing i have forgot to mention is disk speed. Generally there are no issues with dvd players playing blanks disks recorded at any speed. When purchasing your writer you need to match the disks to it.

Obviously a 16 speed writer will be able to writer to a 8 speed disk but confusingly a 16 speed writer will NOT necessarily be able to writer a 16 speed disk at 16 speed! This is the case with the NEC 3520 at present with the current approved firmware (which can be change to be region free etc).

I hope this blurb helps but it is a subject i am very into and this morning has been a bit slow at work!!!

Let me know if you need any further info.

8. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a load for the replies, very very informative, im a bit more confident about what im actualy buying now :smashin:

9. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Nice one, Jaymz!

10. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: