1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd rewriter

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by redarrow, Dec 6, 2004.

1. redarrow

redarrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all im thinking of adding a dvd writer to my computer at present i have seperate cd/rw with roxio 5 platinum and dvd player with powerplay software.which drive would i be better of replacing or should i go external .i would like to be able do all the usual things with the drive that ive read you can do, any recomendation would be appreciated and how easy are they to install for a complete novice. thanks

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    I recently put one in for my mate. We dumped his old CD-RW drive and replaced it with the DVD rewriter. I'm not sure if Roxio 5 supports DVD writing so it may be best to get one that comes with software as well. His came with Nero Express, but I believe Nero and Roxio don't mix, you have to uninstall Roxio before putting Nero on.
    His old CD-RW was very slow (4x) anyway, so not really worth keeping, and it means he can copy DVD data discs across the 2 drives. I've no real experience of external DVD drives so can't really comment on that. What I would say is that it would have to be USB2 as a minimum and if it were me I would go the Firewire route.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd kick the CD-RW too, a minor benefit will be you can set one DVD drive to region 1 and the other to region 2, if you have a mix of R1 and R2 DVDs, avoids hassle making them region free in some way.

John's right that your current software probably doesn't know about DVD writers, and Roxio can be a real PITA when it comes to using something else .. the writer will most likely come with Nero, or perhaps Sonic's DVD authoring package.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Installing a new drive is very easy when replaceing an old one.

Unplug the old drive and check the jumper setting to check if it is set as a master or slave. Whichever it is set to then do the same for the new drive. It is then just a matter of plugging the old cables in to the new drive in exactly the same way as they were on the old drive.

Mark.

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    Avoid using the USB2 interface for DVD burning.