1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Reviews - What do you look for?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Aug 16, 2003.

?

What area of a review do you want?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2003.
  1. It's about right now.

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. More detail about the film please.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Less detail about the film and more on the Picture/Sound

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  4. Keep the film section as it is,more on pic and sound

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  5. More all round please

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Other (please comment below)

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,197
    After 4 months of writing DVD reviews for this site and Total DVD Online, we are looking at the format in which our reviews are featured.

What is it you look for in a review? I have always had the impression that most DVD buyers scan the Film section, most people know what the movie is about, so they just quickly look at the explanation of the plot and what the review thinks about this.
    Am I right? Or do you want more detailed writing in this section.

My opinion has been that DVD fans are more interested in what the picture and sound quality are like, is this correct?
    Are we getting the mix right? or do you want more detail in these sections?

And extras, would you like to know more in detail or are we getting this right?

I have started this poll, you only have one choice, but if you want to comment in more detail then please post here, we want to listen to your views and if we need to, improve the way the reviews are presented so they are of use to you all.

And we now have Matt Brown writing a few reviews for this site now so we can double our output.

Let us know what you want or think so far. And if you think they are crap, please explain why and don't just insult.

Many Thanks.

2. Fjolle

Fjolle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I almost always skip the film section, as i most times can get a more in-dept review of the film alone.
    When i decide to buy a dvd it's more if the dvd is good that matters rather than if its a good flick!

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Doin' a great job as it is- keep it up.:smashin:

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Personally I would like a word on the packaging - I know this isn't important to most people, but it is to me :smashin:

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,197
    I include packaging if it is different from the usual Amaray box.

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to know about the film so skip to the picture and sound section, i also like to know the differences between region 1 picture and sound and region 2 editions of a film, nice to have some details about the extras too.

I would love more technical stuff such as is the Dolby track 384kbs or 448kbs and same with DTS.

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,197
    Foxy, will try to add the details about soundtracks that you request, it's a good idea.

8. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i regurly read a lot of film reviews to find out if a film i want to get has a good transfer and soundtrack, i aways skip the film section

9. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,173
    Ditto here. I'd only mention packaging if it was something different e.g Black Hawk Down superbit, Panic Room superbit. Other than that I don't think it's worth mentioning.

Interesting that people skip the film bit, be good to get some more votes:)

Cheers
    Matt

10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    read the reviews mainly for the tech stuff, film info etc can be found elsewhere.

Keep up the good work, i'm waiting with bated breath for your Two Towers review (hopefully R1 and R2)

Gary

11. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    THX 1138, I think you have done a great job with the reviews but I must admit I like to see more detail about both the quality and the extras. My favourite review site is Michael D's.

A typical, but not outstanding, review on his site is something like the following. I picked DareDevil as it's the first one I saw that you both did.

DareDevil Michael D's site
    DareDevil your review

I would guess that one of their reviews takes a fair bit longer to do than yours and obviously that site has multiple reviewers. I realise that this is just a hobby for you and you don't want to spend hours and hours doing reviews but you did ask so I'm telling you! :)

One thing I do like that you have and they don't is screen shots, I can easily tell if there is a hot girl in the film! :D

[Edit] For a huge amount of depth on an important release they can go all out, see the review of Fellowship of the Ring

12. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,173
    Come on people, lets have some more votes....:)

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this helps, but one thing I've always thought would be a useful reference within DVD reviews is the time at which the layer change takes place.

This would help prepare people for it, rather than it coming as a shock at whatever moment, and would also allow people to actually check to see if what they thought was a freeze really was a freeze and not the genuine layer change.

It could also be useful for when you take DVDs along to demo new DVD players. Go to the review, make notes of the layer changes and then test them in the shop to see how the player handles them.

As the reviewer has to sit through the whole thing and make notes anyway, jotting down the layer change time wouldn't be such a chore would it?

Oh well, I'd find it useful anyway and nobody else seems to do it, which would give you a USP.

14. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,197
    Thanks for the positive comments so far, we will be adding many of the suggestions that have been passed, please keep them coming.