1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD resolutions

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by crawf1982, Dec 19, 2002.

1. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have just read on another site that for Region 1 DVDs the video stream has a resoultion of 720x480, whereas for Region 2 DVDs the video stream has a resolution are 720x576.

Am I right im assuming that this makes Region 2 DVDs better quality than Region 1 DVDs??

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    theoretically they should be yes, but it ain't that simple and there are far too many factors along the course the video signal takes to make it as simple as R2 is better than R1, many will in fact say its the other way round.

3. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    theoretically : yes as more lines on the TV ie higher resolution on PC screens should give better picture.
    BUT It all depends on the masters they used and the authoring.
    So generally u cannot say that Pal (mostR2 except japan) is better than NTSC(R1)
    HTH
    BTW search the forum and u will find loads of threads about PAL vs NTSC and stuff

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And many processes need to be applied to a film source to convert it to the various TV broadcast formats.
    For instance film needs to be speeded up by 4per cent as part of the PAL conversion so some people claim to notice that the sound has a higher pitch than the equivalent NTSC copy despite applied pitch correction.
    and various jiggery-pokery is applied to film to make it NTSC so some people notice a 'juddery' effect in on-screen movement.
    although it is general accepted the disc mastering (ie the production process of discs themselves) is higher in the US, where they use state of the art equipment, is of a higher quality than anywhere else.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is asked regularly every few days on the forum. If you do a search, you will probably find more threads than there are members.

6. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    although it is general accepted the disc mastering (ie the production process of discs themselves) is higher in the US, where they use state of the art equipment, is of a higher quality than anywhere else.

Saying that, Bjoern prefers the PAL LotR more than the NTSC. Infact he dosn't like the ntsc at all!

Here is some details from Bjoern:

The LOTR extended cut version is a LOT better in PAL, then it is in NTSC!After my testings, i
    immediately sold my R1 and yesterday ordered the australian R4 PAL for me.
    The R1 is a blurry mess in comparison to the PAL disc. And it is NOT a problem of it being NTSC and thus having less potential vertical resolution.
    The compressionist and the used equipment simply messed up.

7. CWB

CWB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And who is Bjoern?

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Theoretically, PAL has greater resolution.

In practice this has less effect than other factors, as others have stated here.

If you take a look at a couple of DVD comparison sites - www.dvdcompare.org.uk and www.michaeldvd.com.au you will find that neither of these sites will recommend a PAL version over an NTSC one just because it's PAL. They don't take video standard into account. Quite rightly. It has little real impact.

9. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear God! Look at his screenshots!:eek: :eek: I mean just look at them!

11. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know. First time I saw it I couldnt look at my system for a few days without looking embarrassed:)

The pic quality on those pics are amazing, and the real thing is probably alot better.

Read his EP1 review, it is very detailed.

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The better the equipment, the more it shows up the flaws in source material. So if you've got average kit, you won't see half the faults that others may moan about. Classic example of this is with edge enhancement. On an average 28" or 32" widescreen CRT, you'd strain to see this. But watch the movie through a projector or a flatpanel display and EE is much more noticeable. You've gotta bear these things in mind when worrying about transfer quality etc. :)

13. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye equipment makes the difference, as I am tring to explain on another thread to someone who thinks that equipment isn't an issue when reviewing dvd sound / pic quality!