DVD Resolution...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by -mo-, Sep 10, 2004.

1. -mo-

-mo-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ..don't know if this is the right forum, apologies if it isn't.
    I'm looking to buy a digital projector, but what I want to know is:- what is the resolution (in pixels) of a typical movie DVD?
    TIA
    Maurice

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,034
    I dont know if dvds are measured in pixels, someone will correct me of they are.

I know that they have scan lines, NTSC has 480 horizontal lines and PAL has 576 horizontal lines. As for projector depending on how much you wish to spend you should look at the high def panels i.e 1280x720 and let either your source (dvd player/hcpc) or pj scale the image up to this native resolution

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,649
    PAL DVDs run at 25fps and have a 720x576 resolution

NTSC DVDs run at 29.97fps and have a 720x480 resoultion

4. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I'm confused. I thought NTSC runs at 24FPS hence the 4% speed difference and "PAL speedup" - do I misunderstand?

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,649
    You are correct, for some reason the DVD Encoding software I use on my computer has NTSC at 29.97fps instead of 24fps and that is what I used to find out the running speeds and resolutions.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  7. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Motion picture film runs at 24 frames per second. NTSC, the video standard in the United States and Japan, runs at approximately 30 fps, and PAL, the video standard in the UK and Europe, runs at 25 fps. In order for films to be converted to video, professionals distribute the 24 frames over the 30 frames of NTSC by breaking them down into the 60 component fields that comprise them and distributing the frames over them so that one film frame takes up three fields and the next frame takes two.

Anyway, I'm getting too technical there but the point is with NTSC, there's a way to convert film images to video without noticeable side-effects like stutter or 'tracer' effects. PAL, on the other hand, does not. The most practical way to convert 24 fps film to 25 fps PAL is to speed up the film during the conversion. As a result, for every 24 seconds of PAL video you lose 1 second of real running time, which adds up to quite a few minutes of the total running time of a feature. This is why the runtime of PAL versions is shorter (easy way divide your runtime by 24 and you get the Minutes by which the PAL version is shorter).