1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rentals??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by JF1980, Sep 13, 2005.

1. JF1980

JF1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have been looking at signing up for one of the online DVD rental schemes. They seem pretty good value as just renting two movies from blockbuster costs almost as much as a whole month of unlimited rentals online. The problem I am facing though is deciding which company to go with, there are so many and they all have different selections.

The sites I have been looking at are Blockbuster, LoveFilm and ScreenSelect (all UK). But they all have different archives, example:

Betty Blue:

Blockbuster - No
    Screen Select - Yes
    Lovefilm - Yes

Leon:

Blockbuster - Yes
    Screen Select - No
    Lovefilm - Yes

Adult selections:

Blockbuster - No
    Screen Select - Yes
    Lovefilm - No

Games:

Blockbuster - No
    Screen Select - No
    Lovefilm - Yes

So it's all a bit mixed up. I wanted to go with blockbuster, I prefer their interface, but the fact they are missing some major titles (Betty Blue is just one example) makes me stop and think.

Then you have Screen Select with their adult collection or Lovefilm with their games. Are these solid companies? Blockbuster is obviously going nowhere but the other two could vanish tomorrow.

Any other companies worth considering?

2. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've tried pretty much all the companies over the last 2 years (lots have dissappeared in this time as they have been bought out).

I would not touch Lovefilm again, they were the best 6-12 months ago but now the service is appalling (have a search in this forum and others).

Blockbusters is OK but I found their selection to be more limited, but for the bigger budget new releases you've more chance of getting them early.

Screenselect is the one I've been with for just over two months (my second time with them) and I've been very pleased. However, they have just had a fire and have been a bit slow over the last week - but they seem to be up and running now. So I'd recomend these guys out of the ones you mention.

3. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    One other thing, I'd just pay one month at a time, they all do 12 month deals if you pay in advance. I wouldn't risk that as service levels can drop quickly, then I cancel and move on.

4. JF1980

JF1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just can't believe that screen select don't have Leon, I already have it in my DVD collection, but its strange that they don't have such a movie.

5. mcgetta

mcgetta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would avoid Blockbuster. At first their service was great with a quick turnaround on me sending DVDs back and they sending my new selection. This has now changed to roughyly 5 days for a turnaround.
    The DVDs they sent out were not great across the board either and i lost count of how many did not play at all or in parts. Some Discs I received looked as though they had been used to polish a stone floor.

I have now went with screenselect who still have a quick turnaround despite having a large user base and i have experienced no issues as yet with the quality of their dics.

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Another vote for ScreenSelect here .... although their search looks a little broken ;) They do have Leon - search for 'Luc Besson' and it's there !

7. JF1980

JF1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just can't believe that screen select don't have Leon, I already have it in my DVD collection, but its strange that they don't have such a movie. Anyway just signed up for their trial.

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    there are only 2 companies worth considering Cinema Paradiso and Blockbuster
    I alternate between the two, as they both have very fast turnarounds and keep giving me offers to come back. Just left paradiso (after having pay one month, one month free) and rejoined Blockbuster (come back for two months at half price)

I had at least 3 a week with both companies
    (screenselect were complete pooh)

9. davebrear

davebrear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Screenselect all the way. They have the largest catalogue of ALL the online retailers, and having used them for MANY months I am yet to be dissapointed with the service.

My personal experience of blockbusters was not that good - i never seemed to be getting my top choices of disks - however the turnaround was not bad.

]and screenselect do have Leon. :thumbsup:

Dave

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Amazon may not seem the best deal on the face of it but an unlimited deal would be wasted on me. Been with Amazon over 10 months and haven't had a single problem. 10% off all DVDs is also attractive...PJ :)

11. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    i've just been looking at amazons site regarding rental...could'nt find any link for a sneaky peak at titles they've got on their books before i commit?

12. JF1980

JF1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Screen select seem ok, bit slow to turn aroud but a good selection.

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,331
    I'm with Screen Select and they are still OK with me (after 2 or 3 months). I prefer the layout of their website and like the way you can ask for a series to be sent in the correct order.
    Lovefilm used to be very good but they went totally down the pan as far as service was concerned and some weeks you would end up not getting a single DVD, I won't touch them again until I hear lots of positive reviews !
    I cancelled Blockbuster after the month trial was up as I couldn't get on with their website and they sent one completely wrong DVD and another one turned up smashed. They were using a polythene bag type packaging to send the discs in and so I would imagine that lots more will be broken in the post.

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    With Amazon you see a rent button next to the buy button, I'm not sure if this appears when you subscribe or if it's there for everyone.

Most fims on their site though do seem to be rentable...PJ

15. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.MyMovieStream.co.uk all the way. Normally get at least 2 of my top 5 films, and post is very fast. No mucking around. Currently have Batman Begins and Kung Fu hustle coming tomorrow (and they *will* be there if they say so - no muck arounds there either). Nice new movies, and my queue only cleared yesterday. ie. first time my queue has been open for new movies since either of these films was released. Website isn't the best, but sod that, just use everyone elses to find the films you want :) Much better to have good service.

Also I was with LoveFilm for a couple of weeks. Not only did they charge me for 2 additional months (cancelled well within trial), but they always sent me like stuff out of my top 10 (or even 20 on some occasions). Rubbish basically. Did a thorough search online, and basically *everyone* slags them off. In fact the only site I found that was actually praised (ie. something like 7/10 average rating instead of *all* the others which got like 2/10) was MyMovieStream. May get worse with age (didn't LoveFilm used to be good), but is great right now.

Cheers

16. rb5201

rb5201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Been with screen select for about 4 months now, very impressed, very quick turnaround, usually 2 days. All DVDs received have been in very good condition, good website and easy to return films by way of the return envelope. Just a shame they dont do xbox games.

17. daisywheel3

daisywheel3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using Tesc DVD for three weeks now very impressed with service so far, amazingly quick turnaround up till now. However on visiting there page I have this message by my selection "Awaiting allocation since return on 2005-11-11" is this the start of a slippery slope?.

Blockbuster seemed to be rashioning me so I reduced there cash rashion. Many of the discs needed a good clean before they would play but they were mostly childrens titles.

18. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I was with In Movies until taken over by Screenselect, very happy with the service. Average around 20 DVD's per month with the 3 for £14.99 service.

I'm not too bothered about recieving the latest releases either, the vast catalogue they have is why I stick with them.