1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD rentals on the web, any good?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by damienb, Jul 18, 2001.

1. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if either of the sites that I know of are worth renting DVD's from? The two I know of are, ukdvdrentals.co.uk and the other is rent-a-dvd.co.uk

Neither of them seem to have been updated lately, and I don't want to get involved with a load of s**t. If neither of these sites are any good, does anyone know any that are? The idea on both sites seems great, i.e. about £3 for a 7 day rental, posted to you and back to them. So lets hear about any sites anyone has tried.

Damien
    ;)

2. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to bring this up to date, after seeing a few rental websites come and go, the Guardian newspaper online do them, www.guardian.co.uk something like £3.75 for 7 days inc. return posting.

Cheers,

Damien

3. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I used to use www.movietrac.co.uk £3.75 for 7days. Comes in a pre paid card board sleeve. I found them very good, but the DVD's are only in a good condition if the renters have looked after them.

4. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in-movies.com have been OK for me!
    one problem disk in 20 or so.

Seem to always have the latest releases.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,611
  6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't forget the big boys either, blockbuster are in on the game. Shame about WB releases, but the service is good, you get 5 days at least with the disc in your hand (or player), £4.50 for latest releases. Costs me more than 75p in gas to run to my nearest, so I'm in profit on it, so to speak.

7. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    www.dvdoptions.com were very good for £2.99 (or £3.49 for two disc films) for seven nights but since they started their £9.95 moviematch service it's gone down hill for the customers who just want to rent a single film once in a while: I have to wait in line until the film is available which is not good if I want it for the weekend.

I'm using www.movietrak.com now even if it is a bit more expensive. At least I can get most films when I want.

8. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I get through around 20 films a month for under £15 from dvdsontap.com. The service has generally been very good. You can keep the movies for as long as you want, but if you can get through them as quickly as I do then you get a really good deal.

9. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm looking at Movietrak at the moment. Even though their subscription is more expensive they seem to have all titles available.

Some of the other sites such as dvdsontap don't seem to be as up to date.

Anybody use any other good rental sites?

10. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    DVDsontap have recently revamped their service, and now they have thousands and thousands of dvds to choose from. In fact there's nothing I've looked for that I haven't found there. Their disk protection is the best I've come across too.

11. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had a look on their site today and titles like T3 and Bruce Almighty are listed as pre order despite them being available everywhere else.

Does this mean they don't have them in stock or they are all out at the moment?

12. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Pre-order means they haven't got them yet I suppose. But do a search for Doctor Who there and at other sites and you'll see the difference. Ditto with Farscape. Then try those lesser known movies and see who stocks them.

13. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  14. peopleIknow

peopleIknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been using in-movies (http://www.in-movies.co.uk/dvd/main.php) for over two years now, and I can highly recommend them. In the two years (over 300 films) I've only had 2 disc's I was unable to watch, and a further 3 or 4 that suffer some minor problem while viewing.

I rent on average 3 disc's a week for £ 15.00 per month.

They have just merged with Screen Select, according to the email I received this now makes them the biggest mail order rental service, with the largest select of discs, they are also going to introduce a flat rate fee in January.

Two points to bear in mind if thinking about using in-movies (these points will probably also apply to other mail order rental services)

1. You make a list of films you want to see, and as they become available they are sent to you. So bear in mind you can't watch a specific film when you want to (as you can if you go to Blockbusters), in-fact you may have to wait a number a weeks before you get the latest releases, but the cost savings and convenience mean it's not a problem, (at least to me)

2. DVD's released by Warners/Fox etc with a rental only version take longer to become available. The reason they gave in they can't afford the rental fee that these companies charge, so instead buy from Blockbusters etc as ex-rentals become available.