1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Region questions

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by t1grm, Jan 2, 2005.

1. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been trying to use my PS2 to play DVD’s but where I am at the moment (Malta) seems only to sell region 1 DVD’s and my PS2 will only play region 2. So I wondered if anyone could answer the following questions:

Is it legal to sell region 1 DVD’s in Europe? I thought they were for the US market only.

How can I tell what region a DVD is for if it doesn’t say so on the sleeve? I picked up a copy of Master And Commander which had no indication of what region it was for. When I asked the shopkeeper he informed me that it was region 1 because it was marked as NTSC format. Does the fact that it’s NTSC or PAL always indicate region 1 or 2 respectively?

Does anyone know an easy way of converting my PS2 to a multi-region DVD player? I’ve done several google’s on this but they turn up pages for out of date products from when the PS2 first came out and nothing current.

2. Red1

Red1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    t1grm,

In answer to your first question yes it is legal to sell and buy region 1 DVD's in europe but thats no use to you at moment.
    You can buy a convertor kit for the PS2 - I think it is a disc you load in to it which has a firmware type of software to convert the dvd drive system.I have seen these on sale in HMV and Virgin stores in the UK(Try their websites?)

In answer to your second question all legal DVD's(Not pirate's) have the region code
    information on them.So if you have bought one and there is nothing on the packaging
    stating the region it is most likely to be a copy.
    Being NTSC doesnt necessarily mean region 1.All Japanese DVD's are NTSC region 2.
    All european are PAL region 2.US/Canada are NTSC region 1,The rest of the Asian Market are NTSC region 3(You will often see region 0 in NTSC and PAL,these play on all players that can play PAL and NTSC - Practically all players made now do.).Australian DVD's are PAL region 4.

However I don't know if a european PAL PS2 will play NTSC discs.I don't have a PS2.
    I would check the gaming section of the forums for answers regarding your PS2.

I hope this information helps.

Red1

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,372
    What you need is a tool called DVD Region X.

It was released for the PS2 sometime ago and will allow you to play any DVD on your PS2 no matter what Region code it is and it will also remove the green screen effect when you use an RGB Scart Cable with your PS2.

The only problem you may have is that some TVs cant handle an NTSC 60hz signal so when you playback an NTSC DVD the picture may be in black and white.

As for there being no region information on the sleeve, it should be there so if it is missing then there is a good chance its a bootleg.

4. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback folks. Someone else suggested DVD region X as well so I'll give that a try.

5. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is also a thing called dvd region 3 advertised on play for £8.99 they have sold out of the x thingy says it does not play on silver ps2