DVD Region problematic

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by peio_e, Feb 11, 2003.

1. peio_e

peio_e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new in this issue and the big doubt that I have:

If I buy a Denon DHT-700DV DVD player in the US (region 1) and bring it to Europe, will it work?

I ask this because this player is 900$ less expensive than the equivalent ADV-700 in Europe (DHT-700 costs 600 $ in the US and the ADV-700 1500$ in Europe).

Do you recommend to buy it in the US and ship it to Europe. Do the multi region players work well?

I need help please...

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    Can't speak for the exact model you quote, but, in general, a DVD player intended for the US market will probably NOT support the PAL video standard used in Europe, so you may be restricted to using R1 discs. Even if you can get it de-regioned, it possibly still won't play a PAL (eg R2, R4) disc. Note, however that Japanese discs are usually Region 2, but NTSC.

And - the mains voltage will probably be 110 whereas ours is 230. So you will quickly kill the power supply if you run it without a transformer.

So, before you buy - check whether it is NTSC & PAL, or just NTSC. And check the mains voltage spec for the power supply. Account for the cost of a transformer if it is 110v only.

As for de-regioned players bought (and converted) here - probably 70% of us use one - without difficulty.