Question DVD Region Confusion

Snazzy Hat

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently moved to the USA from the UK and brought a load of DVDs with me. They won't play on my wife's Sony blu ray machine because of regional coding. I understand that part.

What I want to know is what machine do we buy to play my British DVDs and my wife's blu rays? Will one machine do that? Will a multi region blu ray player also be a multi region DVD player?

Yes. You will need a multi region or you may be able to get a hack for your current model.

@IronGiant Needs moving?

Unless you are able to find a hack then it may be a new model. Most new players are now 4K capable which would future proof you if you get a 4K display. You could get another US region and run the pair alongside each other. Shame if you can't find a hack and the Sony players are very reliable. I gave one to my son well over ten years ago and it's still going strong.

So a multi region blu ray player will also be a multi region DVD player? The two just go together? I don't want to have a machine that is multi region for blu ray and not for DVD, if you know what I mean.

With a DVD the blu ray player is backward compatible which extends to the region coding. A region free BR player will be the same for DVD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom