1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd region confusion - novice needs help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dave d, Jun 12, 2005.

1. dave d

dave d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm moving to France and will have a French sourced Sony DAVSR4W all in one box to connect to a Sagem 27 LCD. Please excuse my ignorance but will I be able to play UK/Ireland sourced DVD's on this set up ? or is there some way around it?

Thnanks for your help.

Dave D

2. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    All of Europe, including UK & France, are region 2 (but try and get multi-region,) so provided they're multi-standard, and can handle PAL (UK) as well as SECAM (France) - or transcode PAL to SECAM -which I would have thought was likely, then it should be OK.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I think French DVD players output PAL anyway (they get the same models as everywhere else in Europe). There's no such thing as a SECAM DVD (in fact there's no such thing as a PAL or NTSC DVD, they just have the characteristics of the TV systems after which they're named, but that's a totally different story).

So yep - you'll have no problems with either region OR video standard. Just plug it in and go.

4. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I meant PAL/SECAM DVD player output and compatible display, to cover various player/display combinations. I used PAL loosely to mean 625/50(25) (same as SECAM) video content, although I realise it's stored in YCbCr (720/576,720/480 MPEG2,etc,) not in broadcast PAL/SECAM format on the DVD.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    DVD players output either PAL or NTSC, depending on the DVD or the settings of the player - but TVs in France should have no problem with a PAL input, SECAM only matters when related to TV broadcast.