DVD Recordings using analogue signals: Brightness Flicker..Advice please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul Cooksley, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there all,

Here's an unusual one, that I cannot figure out.

Last year I had an old Sony 4:3 set and a Philips DVDR70 DVD recorder. When I used to make recordings via a normal analogue signal, when playing back the recording I would notice that during some scenes the brightness would suddenly appear to suddenly notch up a little and then after about a min/2 mins it would perhaps quickly decrease by a couple of notches. It ended up being quite irritating, as it would do this on and off especially when the brightness in a particular scene changed....

Now, I put this down to me doing something wrong (ie not having it connected in the right way or something like that...)

However:

I now have a Sony CS70 and Sony GX300 DVD recorder. I don't usually record analogue signals these days, as I have Freeview. But - the other day, I had to record EastEnders for the missus and I did this on analogue. When we watched back the recording, I noticed exactly the same scenario happening - ocassional quick brightning up in some scenes and then the brightness dips again in other scenes. I have this set correctly via RGB/scart etc.. and was amazed that this is happening on a completely different tv and DVD recorder - this makes me think this might be something (for some reason) that can happen during analogue recordings?

I would add that when recording from Freeview I do not get this happening at all. Also, commercial DVD's play back perfect. It seems it's only happening from an analogue recording.. Someone at my work suggested it could be some kind of macrovision (but all I am doing is recording on GX300 and playing it back via my new Sony DVD player so I don't think this is the reason)..

As I say, a little odd, as I had the same thing happen on different equipment last year...

So, does anyone know what I mean and indeed if so, what causes this?

Thanks

Paul

2. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    ......just as a postscript, I have noticed that this "brightness flickering" only seems to happen on analogue BBC1. I noticed this on my previous equipment too - it is evident through the dvd tuner before recording (as it is on my 2nd dvd machine)

odd.....

3. Video Filter

Video Filter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't think of any other reason for this than MAcrovision. Maybe some of the channels you are recording, have been encoded with MAcrovision. The so called Level 1 (Pseudo_Sync) Pulses. What kind of TV do you have? Some projectors are more suseptible than other and can't handle Macrovision very well.

4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Actually, after a bit of fiddling round with the scart connections last night, I think th problem could lie in the fact that my scart lead which goes from the line 3/decoder socket on the GX300 to the freeview box is not very good - the picture is lost completely if you just slightly tap it.... Would a gold plated scart lead make much difference?

5. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it certainly would.

6. thames

thames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

Did you get this problem sorted out? Did a change of scart lead help? It made no difference for me. I still haven't fathomed out what's causing it. I often have to record with the recorders anologue tuner and it's very annoying. Happens with all programmes on all channels not just Beeb. Can't be macrovision, it's even on the news! It looks like some automatic noise compensation going on. I wish it wouldn't. Perhaps it's a faulty batch of tuners?

7. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thames

Yes, I did fathom it out - eventually and quite by accident!

I realised, after alot of research that I was recording via a "composite signal" - which meant that edges/text had shimmering around it. I didn't replace any leads/scarts apart from change them around - it was basically to do with how I had my Freeview box set to the DVD recorder.

I didn't realise this would, in fact, sort out the brightness flicker, but it certainly has done (touch wood!!) so do check and make sure you are not recording/viewing a "composite" signal as this is definately what was causing it for me. Until reading a tad on this forum, when I first posted these messages, I had no idea what a composite signal was!!!

Cheers

Paul