1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recordings PAL and NTSC???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Joti, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Joti

Joti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I recently asked on here whether recording made on my Sony RDR-GX3 would be Region 2 or Region 0 - it was proved to be the latter, good news there.

NEXT QUESTION - Are they then Region Free PAL discs??? i.e may not be compatible to users in US/Canada or would they play OK on NTSC players????

Or is the PAL/NTSC thing irrelevant?

:lease:

2. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    US might have trouble playing back PAL

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    There are many hundreds if not thousands of Region 0 PAL DVD's but most tend to be music, TV or documentaries with the occasional films.

A lot of the Tartan DVD's are region 0 but they are foreign films (French, Japanese, HK).

I do have a list of region free dvd's but it's from around 1999/2000 and I think most are NTSC and not PAL. If you want it post a reply to this thread and I'll send a personal email to you as it is too big to post here.

I've had a quick look on the Interent but there is so much junk kicking about I can't locate a PAL list. They do exist though.

4. Joti

Joti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, to clarify, recordings made on my RDRGX3 from VHS source (PAL) are Region 0 - I am fine about that.

I want to copy some motor racing videos on to DVD and send them to a friend in the USA.

What I am asking is, are the discs I burn then PAL Region 0 or just Region 0 and will play happily on an American NTSC DVD player?

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Most NTSC players will NOT play a PAL disc. It is nothing to do with the region coding. Conversely, most PAL players will play an NTSC disc (it is an easier conversion to handle).

Mark

6. Ishlin

Ishlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a Sony, but on my Pioneer, the burned DVDs are the same format as the source. If I record from a PAL source (like a tape), I get a PAL DVD; if I record from an NTSC source, I get an NTSC DVD.

I'd be surprised if the Sony was capable of PAL->NTSC conversion, although I don't know for a fact that it isn't. If it is, there should be a mention of it in the manual. The default format should certainly be PAL (when the source is PAL).

In short, and unfortunately, my guess would be that your recordings won't play on the average US DVD player.

7. skidmark83

skidmark83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before Christmas I transfered some camcorder video messages onto DVD-R using a Panasonic E-95, and sent the disc to a friend in Canada.
    He was unable to view it on his DVD player but as suggested by 'JamesL' on these forums it worked fine on his home computer.
    He watched it using windows media player and said that on full screen the quality was just as good. So I was happy !!!!