1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by steve k, Nov 21, 2004.

1. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Can anyone tell me is there much of difference in quality when recording to DVD in XP,SP,LP :confused:
    Most films are over 2 hours long and if you transfer from Hdd to DVD in XP u won't get it all on the DVD if you drop the rate down is there much loss in pic quality.

I have a 36in tosh tv and woundered if this would show up the lower recouring quality :(

2. Face

Face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think the biggest difference is between SP and LP. In SP mode, the resolution is recorded at 704x576, but in LP mode its 352x576.

I believe the only difference between XP and SP is that in XP mode, its recorded at the highest bitrate possible. I've only ever used XP once but mostly stick with SP/LP depending on what I'm recording and if I want to keep it.

If you have a panasonic recorder, best use the FP mode if the film is between 1-2 hours, or between 2-3 hours. That way it will fill the disc using the best possible rate.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Both XP (1hr per 4.7GB) and SP (2hrs per 4.7GB) are full resolution - that is to say 720/704 x 576 and are ideal for recording Digital TV.

XP mode uses the highest allowable DVD-Video bitrate and (depending on the quality of the source) offers near identical PQ to the original. However as both Sky and (to a lesser extent) Freeview broadcast at such low bitrates then SP mode is frequently more than adequate - artifacts do start to creep in but only on 'difficult' scenes such as heavy rain, falling snow, mist - and 9 times out of 10 artifacts are from the original broadcast anyway.

LP (4hrs per 4.7GB) and below are low resolution (352 x 576/288) and, IMHO, should be avoided.

Now, as you seem to have noticed, if a recorder just had these modes then it would be fairly :censored: Thankfully Panasonic/Toshiba/Pioneer (etc) recorders have Flexible Bitrate which allows you to set the bitrate according to the recording time, i.e. you dial in a time of 2hrs 31mins and that's how long it will record for. The implementation of this varies from recorder to recorder but you get the general idea.

Panasonic recorders can record upto 3hrs in full resolution. Pioneer/Toshiba drop to low resolution earlier - about 2hrs 20mins.

4. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What is the quality like in FP mode when u watch the dvd Face, its probably better than Vidio but what about DVD

5. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for that Rasczak.
    Can you tell me if the new JVC DVD/HDD/Video recorder Modle JVC DR-mx1sek is any good its got a 160gb hard drive the spek is on the jvc site but cant find anyone who has 1 4 sale yet i think it is there latest modle.
    The reason i ask is that pepole on these forums seem to just rave about Sony/panny/ tosh/ pionner and JVC don't get much of a mention are they that crapp.
    Im looking to get a recorder as my Video has started to play up am a bit tight for space under Tv and the combo is a good solution i know some pepole shy away from combo's as they say you have to loose some quality on part of the system but is this realy so.
    The video side would only be for playing the video's i have as everything else would of course now b going onto DVD or HDD, I only buy films on DVD now. If the quality is any good would probably transfer the video's onto DVD

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The JVC recorders are excellent - but they lack one crucial thing: RGB input. If you want to record from Sky/Freeview/NTL then you should really look at a RGB equipped recorder.

I would suggest getting seperates, i.e. a VCR and a DVDR/HDD combo.

7. Face

Face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Its much better than video, but does depend on how long you record for.

For example, if you used Flexible mode for 1h 30 - then the quality would be between XP and SP which would be very good. If using for 2h 30mins, then it would be between SP and LP but sways towards SP as its 30mins over the 2hour mark.

8. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have looked on the JVC site The JVC have RGBin on the scart lead would this be good enough

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I think that is just RGB loop through so no it wouldn't enable you to record in RGB quality.