1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recording software

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by lcarter, Jan 13, 2004.

1. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am waiting to receive Pioneer 106 (OEM) DVd re-writer and would like to know what DVD recording software is best/cheapest for this recorder. All I really need (I think) is to purely copy DVD's that I record onto DVD-R from my Panasonic DMR-HS2.
    Any information would be helpful
    Txs :hiya:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    If all you want is to do direct copies of other DVD's then all you need is a CD/DVD burning prog such as Nero 5.5 or 6.
    If you want to add menus &/or chapters then you will need something like Ulead DVD Moviefactory 2.
    I use both the above progs with my Pio 106 and they are very easy to use and give good results.

Mark.

3. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Mark
    this is getting to be a habit - thanks for your input - already have Nero 5.5, so will save me a bit of money there. Will wait to receive the Pioneer 106 and mess about with Nero and if need anything else will certainly try Ulead DVD Moviefactory 2
    Ta again.

4. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark
    I have just thought of something else regarding direct copying of my DVD's. When I record films onto the DVD-R I normally get 2 films on LP. When I copy these will I get everything I recorded onto the copy DVD-R (i.e. both films about 4hrs), or should I start recording just 1 film per DVD-R?
    If you can help will appreciate it
    Lynda:confused:

5. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As the Panasonic also uses recordable DVD, and you are not copying commercial dual layer discs you can make an exact copy of yours.
    Another useful (free) proggie is DVD Decrypter, which can also be used to burn /copy DVD

6. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You should try DVDshrink, an excellent peice of freeware, which compresses the contents of the DVD to fit one disc.

7. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for your input, I think the way to go is DVD Shrink (know where I can get it).
    Regarding doing an extra copy on the Panasonic DMR-HS2 (good idea) the only thing being is that if both films are 2hrs long then it will take 4 hours to get another copy (long time) just to get a copy, if I am missing something and you can do it easier and faster, let me know, I have only had the machine a month now and maybe have missed something.
    DrunkenMaster just looked at your site, do you get time to watch all your movies again (you have loads).
    Thanks again:hiya:

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  9. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When copying the disc recorded on the Panasonic, you are simply duplicating the data at the speed the drive can handle. The length of the video is irrelevant. A 4X DVD writer should do the job in about 15 mins on a full disc of 4.7GB

You only need DVDShrink or similar to reduce a commercial dual layer 9GB disc to fit on a DVD-R. The Panasonic uses single layer 4.7GB recordable discs

10. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Graham - seems it straight forward, will only need DVDshrink if it is double layered.

Txs to everyone for input