1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recording Quality - Why so poor?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by PDES, Oct 31, 2003.

1. PDES

PDES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Team,

I have finally bought a DVD writer as an attempt to be able to view my home videos on the DVD player in a quality equal to tape play back. However, I am really disappointed at the quality. It seems that the compression has removed frames such that motion is not fluid. I also see the edges of items pixelating as soon as motion occurs. Could someone "in the know" give me some advice please?

1) I have only burnt a DVD from an AVI file. Is there a cleaner way of getting the data to disc?

2) I have used a couple of DVD burning apps. One seems worse than the other. I presume they have different algorithms. What's the best application for this work?

3) How is it that a commercially purchased DVD film can be three hours or more, compressed into 4.7gb and give full colour and motion but my simple 45 minute holiday video takes up 3gb on the disk and looks grainy and jerky?

TIA for any help.

Regards,

David

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Try changing the interlace frame from bottom to top or whatever, also try TMPGENC - I have a load of AVIs I need to redo as I am doing the frames wrong:mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

Frame by frame on a pan is it?

FF->B->FF->B->FF->B

FF big jump forwards, B small jump back

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1) You won't get much .avi on a DVD & it will only be good to play back on your computer

2) For budget try TMPGEnc & TMPGEn author . You can get them here

3) Commercial DVD's are not 4.7Gb discs. They are single sided & dual layer in the main (holding 8.4Gb)
    You should be able to get 90-120mins of PAL footage on a disc with a good encoder & authoring software. The quality of the ouput is going to depend greatly on your source material & the quality of the MPEG encoder. (TMPGEnc is good for the money & free trial)

4. PDES

PDES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

I have d/l'd TMPGEnc and have started a file conversion. A 45 min video is sheduled to take 13 hours!! I hope it's good!

I suppose my bottom line question is, will I ever be able to get tape playback quality on a DVD? If so, how?

Cheers,

David

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    With right tools , patience & practice ........yes

TMPG is slow but for the money very good. If you make DVDs for a living it would be way to slow but for home & hobby you should be pleased with the "bang per buck".

If you want help (an explaination) of the many settings in TMPGEnc chek out Rui's guide
    OR
    this alternative one.

6. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe a set top recorder, but dont ask which one unless you want to start a fight

7. PDES

PDES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had to abort the TMPGEnc after 30 hours! It clogged the CPU (2.5Gig) to 100%!. This is likely to really get me down.

So, here's another elementary question; When I make the video file, should I save in .avi or MPEG2 format (or another) in order to get the best DVD burn?

Cheers again,

David

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    To create a DVD video (to play on stand alone players) your video will have to be in MPEG-2 format & authored by DVD authoring software. The prices you can pay for encoders & authoring software vary massively.

If you are unhappy with the free trial of TMPGEnc then another faster ( & cheap) quality encoder is CCE Basic . You will still need authoring software though to create the structure from your MPEG files for DVD.

9. PDES

PDES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does the "authoring" part come after the capture and edditing (with FX) in Vegas, Ulead Video Studio etc or instead of? Can you recommend an authoring package?

Thanks again,

David

10. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This is what I typically do

Capture & edit with Vegas

Encode my audio output with Vegas timeline to AC3 (Dolby) audio.
    Encode my video to MPEG-2 with Canopus Procoder.

Take those files to authoring package. I use either Sonic Solutions ReelDVD or Pinnacle DVD Impression Pro. (Menu sub-pictures are created in Adobe Photoshop). Create a DVD image file with the authoring program.

Burn the image to DVD disc with RecordNow Max.

You may not want to spend the amount of money it would take to get all that software.

I don't know what editing software you have (but in all likelyhood unless it's at least Vegas+DVDA you won't have AC3 audio encoder).
    Good budget MPEG-2 encoders are TMPGEnc & CCE Basic.
    You can use Photoshop elements or Paint Shop Pro to create .psd files for menus if needed by authoring software.
    I haven't tried TMPGEnc author , but it's cheap & a lot of people creating discs from stand alone DVD recorders seem to use it here.
    Otherwise Ulead's DVD workshop , Ulead's DVD Movie Factory, (If you have Vegas 3 upgrade to Vegas 4 with DVDA bolt on) , DVDit , ReelDVD , Pinnacle Impression Pro , DVD Lab are all authoring programs with varying features & cost.

Most will be able to burn from within the authoring program but I find external burning more reliable.

11. PDES

PDES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow!! Thanks for the info. Getting my head round this will keep me quiet for a few days! :)

I appreciate you taking the time.

12. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use MSP Pro 7 for capture/editing (although more scenalyzer for capture these days). DVD Workshop for authoring to DVD. I convert .avi to mpeg2 using MSP first. It's important to keep the same 'PAL DVD' settings in DWS as MSP to reduce the time it takes to author the disc. The quality of the encoding is extremely good. Rule of thumb for best quality is only an hour though. That's 8mbps for video 384kbps audio. You can squeeze a bit more on if you use 'variable' bitrate rather than 'constant'.
    Not sure if this is OK to mention here, (so I won't mention a price) but I've got MSP 6.5 for sale. Boxed, full instructions etc. There's a DVD plug in with it for basic DVD authoring. Problem is the main editing/capture part is a steep learning curve. :eek: