DVD recording problems with Sony RDR-HXD870

V

ViragoRider

Heeelp !!!

Just purchased the Sony HXD870 DVD HDD/Recorder.

I seem to be okay with everything apart from copying recorded programs from the HDD to DVD. I have tried various formats of DVD's from +RW to -R but I can't get it to copy anything to disc. I have read the manual intensively and followed all insructions - but to no avail. I either get REPAIR DISC messages or DUB FAILURE messages. Also, I can format DVD+RW discs but then it doesn't recgnise them when I come to burn my dub. What am I doing wrong - already wasted about 10 DVD-R discs trying to get it to work.

Please help before I send it back.

P.S. Is there anyway of switching off auto-updates as the fan kicks in a couple of times a night in stanby.

Cheers

ROYOLD

Probably the discs you are using. Try a good quality make like Taiyo Yuden discs.

Fan cutting in on standby. Switch it off at the mains overnight if not in use.
I switch off all my electronic equipment
at the mains plug when not being used.

M

mrfreeview

Heeelp !!!

Just purchased the Sony HXD870 DVD HDD/Recorder.

I seem to be okay with everything apart from copying recorded programs from the HDD to DVD. I have tried various formats of DVD's from +RW to -R but I can't get it to copy anything to disc. I have read the manual intensively and followed all insructions - but to no avail. I either get REPAIR DISC messages or DUB FAILURE messages. Also, I can format DVD+RW discs but then it doesn't recgnise them when I come to burn my dub. What am I doing wrong - already wasted about 10 DVD-R discs trying to get it to work.

Please help before I send it back.

P.S. Is there anyway of switching off auto-updates as the fan kicks in a couple of times a night in stanby.

Cheers

I had a HXD1065 machine that did just about what you have explained. It refused to format disks (DVD-R) despite them then formatting perfect in an older SONY DVD-HDD machine.

It refused to play DVD-Rs that had been finalised in my older DVD-HDD machine.

In the end I called SONY who diagnosed that the apparatus was defective. I returned it to the retailer and had my money back. Only to then go and buy a HXD1070 which appears to have a defect in recording via the EPG

Perhaps its time to call it a day on SONY equipment? or at least until they get their quality control under control!!!

Finally beware of turning off the auto update as doing this on the HXD1070 appears to then delete programs that you have set to record via the EPG.

I hope my post has been of use :)

spoon261

Banned
The burning fault is ether the DVDs or the laser in the Sony.
Sound more like the laser in the Sony to me.

Automatic updates can be switched off, read the owner’s manual page 150

The sony likes to erase timers with auto updates on or off, but “mrfreeview” reports it erases timers more if off.

The only way to stop timers erasing them selves so far appears to be to set manual timers (do not use the freeview EPG guide).

V

ViragoRider

Hi,

Someone has suggested I have been using the wrong type of discs. I am using x4 speed when in fact, I need to use x8. The manual states to use x8 or lower so I thought I would be okay. Could it be that I am trying to write to the discs in the wrong speed, (using default which is High Speed).

I intend to but some x8 discs tonight to see if they make any difference - which is best DVD+RW or DVD-RW?

M

Miller

Just happened to buy some Sony dvd+rw x4 for my 870 and they worked fine. They are in a yellow packaging and have 'Stiftung Warentest GUT (2,4) lm test 8 DVD+RW Rohlinge' on the front, if that helps!

V

ViragoRider

Hi,

Decided to send it back after Sony suggested it was a "common" problem, (along with plenty of others as it seems).

Will let you know what problems I find with the replacement ;o)

M

mrfreeview

Hi,

Decided to send it back after Sony suggested it was a "common" problem, (along with plenty of others as it seems).

Will let you know what problems I find with the replacement ;o)

I think that you have made a very wise choice. ;)

In the next 2 days I shall be making a decision on my HXD1070 with its EPG problem. Tonight I shall be able to see what is has recorded and if it has "forgotten" any of the programs I set it to record in the past 7 days. :(

Perhaps when customers start returning goods to retailers and then they the retailers start returning goods back to the manufacturers, especially with the same type of defects, manufacturers will "sit up" to the fact that they have to produce goods that "do what they say on the tin". & Good Enough is simply Not Good Enough.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom