1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recording onto CD?? would this work?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Paul O, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi All,

I am wanting to record my old analog 8mm camcorder tapes to DVD/VCD format, but with a perfect copy.

I have found that Capture cards don't quite cut the mustard for the money.

So, here is my plan (in theory - lottery win pending of course!!) - I would like to purchase the Panasonic DVD-Recorder (standalone, not PC). Then record onto a DVD-RAM disc, which I can re-use later. Cost efficient.

Then I thought I could put this into my computer as a DVD and rip the DVD video to Div-X. Thus keeping high-quality but keeping the costs low as Div-X will go onto a CD.

I can then re-use the DVD-Ram and start all over again.

Bottom line - will it work? Can you buy DVD-Ram readers for PCs? I don't want a writer as Id be paying for something I wouldn't use.

Benefits here are that I'll have a DVD-Recorder to replace my video eventually....

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Paul.

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

Err yes, this is possible since the PC DVD-RAM drive from Panasonic was around years before the stanalone one ;) Used to be about 400 ukp, should be cheaper now.

Basically you'd be using the standalone as a capture card and recorder in one. You can do the same with a PC MPEG2 encoder card and a large hard disc, but the standalone method should be more user friendly, but will cost more if you've already got a PC that could be used. In all, a nice idea, if it does work!!

3. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Cool! Thanks for the reply Xeonic.

I have an AMD 500, so it won't capture decent video (I have an all-in-wonder, but can only get VCD quality at best).

To upgrade I'd need a new processor, motherboard, memory, case and power supply which I think is a bit much just for this.

The DVD-Ram for PCs - £400 seems a bit steep. I suspect that is also a writer? Is there any compatable DVD players for about £50 which also play DVD-Ram? I know its unlikely but you never know....

Cheers,

Paul.

4. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that price is for a reader/writer, and I think it's about 300 now. I'm not sure whether DVD-RAMs can be read in a standard 50ukp DVD drive - it's worth checking the spec on panasonics site, unless anyone else has tried this??

5. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,
    Not sure if this is what your looking for, I have a program which copies DVD`s with one click it cost me £28 online and it`s so easy to use it converts to SVCD or VCD however svcd`s are near perfect they won`t play on my pc but work fine on my Pioneer Nx88. I dont have the link to hand but if you do a search for DUP-DVD your sure to find it.Theres also a forum on it too if you have any queeries

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Paul-o If by compatible dvd players you mean pc dvd roms then yes there are many which support dvd ram discs - as long as they are not the caddy fixed ones of course!
    Of note Toshiba do one at @ £54 from dabs.com

7. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks Encaser, thats what Im after.

Is it possible to remove the RAM discs from their caddys then? I haven't used them before, so am pretty new to this....

Cheers!

Paul.

8. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59