DVD Recording onto CD?? would this work?

Paul O

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am wanting to record my old analog 8mm camcorder tapes to DVD/VCD format, but with a perfect copy.

I have found that Capture cards don't quite cut the mustard for the money.

So, here is my plan (in theory - lottery win pending of course!!) - I would like to purchase the Panasonic DVD-Recorder (standalone, not PC). Then record onto a DVD-RAM disc, which I can re-use later. Cost efficient.

Then I thought I could put this into my computer as a DVD and rip the DVD video to Div-X. Thus keeping high-quality but keeping the costs low as Div-X will go onto a CD.

I can then re-use the DVD-Ram and start all over again.

Bottom line - will it work? Can you buy DVD-Ram readers for PCs? I don't want a writer as Id be paying for something I wouldn't use.

Benefits here are that I'll have a DVD-Recorder to replace my video eventually....

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Paul.

Paul,

Err yes, this is possible since the PC DVD-RAM drive from Panasonic was around years before the stanalone one ;) Used to be about 400 ukp, should be cheaper now.

Basically you'd be using the standalone as a capture card and recorder in one. You can do the same with a PC MPEG2 encoder card and a large hard disc, but the standalone method should be more user friendly, but will cost more if you've already got a PC that could be used. In all, a nice idea, if it does work!!

Cool! Thanks for the reply Xeonic.

I have an AMD 500, so it won't capture decent video (I have an all-in-wonder, but can only get VCD quality at best).

To upgrade I'd need a new processor, motherboard, memory, case and power supply which I think is a bit much just for this.

The DVD-Ram for PCs - £400 seems a bit steep. I suspect that is also a writer? Is there any compatable DVD players for about £50 which also play DVD-Ram? I know its unlikely but you never know....

Cheers,

Paul.

Yes, that price is for a reader/writer, and I think it's about 300 now. I'm not sure whether DVD-RAMs can be read in a standard 50ukp DVD drive - it's worth checking the spec on panasonics site, unless anyone else has tried this??

Hi ,
Not sure if this is what your looking for, I have a program which copies DVD`s with one click it cost me £28 online and it`s so easy to use it converts to SVCD or VCD however svcd`s are near perfect they won`t play on my pc but work fine on my Pioneer Nx88. I dont have the link to hand but if you do a search for DUP-DVD your sure to find it.Theres also a forum on it too if you have any queeries

Paul-o If by compatible dvd players you mean pc dvd roms then yes there are many which support dvd ram discs - as long as they are not the caddy fixed ones of course!
Of note Toshiba do one at @ £54 from dabs.com

Thanks Encaser, thats what Im after.

Is it possible to remove the RAM discs from their caddys then? I haven't used them before, so am pretty new to this....

Cheers!

Paul.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom