1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recording on the PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by redlester, Feb 21, 2003.

1. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to go for a recordable DVD drive on the PC now that it is relatively affordable, mainly for transferring old VHS stuff to DVD video and also for backing up/archiving PC data files, seeing as my mp3 collection has grown to around 50GB!

I have made the first purchase - a 120GB hard drive to go with my existing 75GB, but I still need to sort out the hardware for capturing & recording and I want to avoid expensive mistakes. So any comments/advice on the following would be appreciated:

The DVD writer I had in mind is the Sony DRU-500A as it supports all formats other than DVD-RAM. I haven't seen any negative comments on it so far....

At the moment I have a Win-TV card which can do analogue video capture but not encoding on the fly. So I need a graphics card which is able to do the latter. I do not want to have to record to PC then spend hours encoding files before writing to DVD. I like the look of the ASUS V9280S - will this do what I want? Are there any better/cheaper alternatives that I could consider? I am a bit unsure about how the VCR would connect to the capture card - my VCR only has SCART output, presumably there is a special cable available?

This may be a dumb newbie question, but is there a way of recording straight to the DVD in real time from VHS without having to first create a file on the PC? If it can be done on a stand-alone DVD recorder, then can it be done on a PC drive?

I'd be grateful for any comments on any of the above.

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    This question may be better on the Computer hardware & Home Cinema PCs (HCPC) section of this forum

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Moving to Computer Forum :)

4. Threadkiller

Threadkiller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt very much, that without spending thousands on pro kit that you can encode & burn on the fly. at some point you will have to go via disk. admitedly if you can capture MPG2 direct via hardware then you will cut down on rendering time. but I would still think you have a wait, especially if you want to play back on a conventional DVD player.

5. brenlan

brenlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Ulead Movie Factory 2, provides you with a fast way to capture videos directly from a video device ( such as DV camcorder or VCR ). Through an Firewire card, and then burn to video disc straightaway".

Hope this helps also you can download a 30 day demo from Ulead.com .

6. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Redlester,

Looking at what you want to achieve, may I suggest 'Easy CD & DVD Creator 6' by Roxio which is an all-in-one package for burning Music, Video and Files (and even printing labels :clap: )

A bit on the expensive side and not out till March 03, however Roxio does mention that it capture's and burn's video directly to DVD+RW media (using something called +VR direct to disc technology :confused: )

It's already on my wish list :D

Regards
    Anne