1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recording of my programs

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by chrigil, Oct 24, 2005.

1. chrigil

chrigil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this question has been asked previously but I did search around for a while for the answer with no joy.

I am getting Sky+ soon and I want to know if I will be able to archive my recorded programs from my Sky+ box to a DVD recorder or if Sky have blocked this ability.

If it is possible what is the best way of doing it? I assume I could use either the Scart out or the S-Video out. Does anyone know of any problems using the Scart Out to record in this way? I haven't bought my DVD Recorder yet and they all have Scart inputs but not many of the have S-Video inputs. If I know that the Scart output to the DVD input will work ok I'll just buy a DVD recorder without the s-video.

Please gimme any advice you think might be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    You use the Sky+ "Copy" facility which outputs your recorded programmes from the HD to the scart outputs in real time...so a 3 hour programme will take 3 hrs to record.
    Most people just set this up before going to bed and do it overnight as you cannot view any other Sky progs while doing this.

3. ramone

ramone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I can only record BBC stations from sky+ to vhs or dvdr. Even ITV channel 4 and 5 will not record. Is this normal or something to call sky about. Thanks.

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    The only programmes you can't record AFAIK are Box Office Movies so I would give Sky a ring if I was you.

5. ramone

ramone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sky man came and had no idea what was wrong. He left saying his boss would call me but that has not happened yet. In one room is Sky+ in another room a regular sky box. The dvdr and the vhs will not record from either sky box. They seem to be encrypted signals coming out of both boxes. Thanks for any help and suggestions. Ramone.

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i dunno about the ITV channels, havent had cause to record them yet, but not all Box Office stuff is copy protected, i paid for a WWE Wrestling sports event, and that copied just fine, was on Box Office PPV.....it may just be movies that are protected...

one thing im wondering is when they get the HiDef stuff going, will they allow digital recording of stuff on your HDD to DVD......i dont mean from box office, just HiDef content from normal channels.....no point in being able to have HiDef film copied to disc in analogue, especially as it means u end up with only stereo sound!

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sometimes DVD recorders mistake noise pulses in the syncs for macrovision pulses. If you visit http://www.ktvision.com/ they do a "Smart Lead HQ Gold" to get around this problem. Also note that you will probably need a power supply adaptor to make this lead work properly - the details are on the page.

8. ramone

ramone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the come back Nick. The thing is it has the same problem trying to record on my vhs. Both boxes send out encrypted signals.This is all sky channels. BBC 1 and BBC2 both record OK. I have never used sky box office. Ramone.

9. ramone

ramone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This problem is solved. Sky were sending an encrypted signal. On the phone this morning for 35 mins and its all fixed. Ramone.

10. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will I be able to use the copy program to output the Newcastle v Sunderland game over to me Tosh RDXS32 ???...Toon Army Toon Army :thumbsup: This was a prem+ game