DVD Recording News

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The new issue of HCC (October) has a fair bit on DVD Recording.

There is a brief dit on the E100 - same features as the HS2 - plus:
    * 80GB HDD
    * High speed copying HDD to DVD-R
    * MPEG4 Recording
    * MP3 and DVD-Audio Playback
    * 1.3x Playback

Panasonic will be launching a new HDD/DVDR combo in the new year with 5:1 DVD-Audio support as well as a All-In-One Home Cinema/DVD Recorder - the XR25.

No news either the Pioneers* or the JVC (which I suppose was mentioned last issue).

There are also reviews of the E60 and the DVDR75.
    The E60 highs were "performance, features", lows were "no manual audio control". Overall 4.5
    The DVDR75 highs were "compatibility of DVD+RW, thumbnails, no finalising", lows were "no Timeslip, cheap remote control, no audio level control". Overall 4

They also have an article entitled "The Great DVD Format Debate" between Pioneer, Sony, Philips, Panasonic reps - it doesn't actually achieve very much IMHO but it interesting to see how they view the benefits of their products and where they are going. Unsurprisingly they all think you should buy DVD Recorders NOW :D

* slight correction there - there's a brief dit on the Japanese versions in an interview with Masanori Ichikawa.

2. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    well I suppose they have too string things along so as to maintain circulation volumes!

we are all waiting on the good stuff later in Sep/Oct.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Only the JVC DRM1, Pioneer 310 and Panasonic E70 are out in the Sept/Oct period. The first two offer £400ish DVD-RW recording.

The Pioneer 5100 and Panasonic E100 are due November and then that is it for this year bar any products from KISS that may, or may not appear.

The "good stuff" (read groundbreaking stuff) isn't going to appear to next year, i.e. USB2 sockets, WiFi, significantly cheaper units, 5:1 recording (major brands) as well as 'player' improvements such as HiMAT, 5:1 DVD-Audio support and more progressive scan. First quarter next year Pioneer, Panasonic, Philips, JVC, Sony, Thompson and Toshiba are all launching new products.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    In some more DVD news a number of companies have agreed to push to support DVD-RAM more fully:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=4043

The Hitachi/LG companies are more interesting on a PC basis but the key is JVC, Toshiba and Panasonic who should all start to sell VRO compatible players soon (which is good news for RAM users AND -RW users recording in VRO mode).

There is also some news on the Korean version of Samsung's modified E50, the DVD-R5000:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=4045
    For interested parties this model (when it appears here in January) will be priced at £450 - which will make it slightly cheaper than the E60 which is the other alternative for iLink. No PC-Card viewer though.

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This months What Video Mag has given the Panasonic DMR-E100 lots of praise claiming it trounces earlier models. Their only complaint it seems is the £1000 price tag.

Makes my mouth water. But i will have to be content with dribbling for the moment......:D

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I think this is likely to be reduced quite quickly. The E100 is destined to become the 'cheap' HDD/DVDR combo in the range given that Panasonic are launching the 'high end' E120 in February.

7. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I must have blinkers on I wasn't aware of that one.:D

What extra goodies will the E120 have over and above the E100. Will it make the tea for example...:D :D

Seriously though will it have an even larger HD or even twin tuners!!!!!!

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    It will be the E100 plus will have 5:1 DVD-Audio support, a larger HDD (I am hoping for 160GB but probably only 120GB), a USB2 connection (to allow timer to be set by supporting internet EPG and downloading JPEGS for menus) and should have some improved playback features (such as NTSC PS) that have been sorely lacking on some of the models until now. No twin tuners yet!

9. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Rasczac. Great stuff.....it only gets better.....Now i must buy some winning lottery tickets...:D