1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recording Help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Skid Solo, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am toying with the idea of purchasing a DVD recorder, however it must meet certain requirements, to make it useful in the house. These are :

· Ability to make DVD recording that can be played on both a Pioneer 545 and a Toshiba SD210E
    · I would like to be able to record every day programmes onto a re-writable disc that will be playable on the above players
    · I would like to be able to connect the 545 to the DVD recorder so that I can store items I wish to keep onto a single write disk i.e. put a RW disk into the 545 and record onto a R disk in the recorder with no or insignificant loss of quality

I have though about a Panasonic E50 but this does not meet my requirement of a re-writable disk that is compatible with both 545 and SD210E
    I have considered a Panasonic HS2, but this again only has a re-writable ram disk, which does not work with 545 and SD210E
    I want RGB input so this counts out the Toshiba
    I am therefore left with the new range of Philips recorders with +RW /+R which will meet my requirements.
    Can anyone confirm that Philips will do what I want as detailed above. Or does anyone have any other suggestions ?
    And where is a good place to buy +RW/+R media ?

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For goodness sake don't even think about the +R format it is no where near as sophisticated as the Panny range.

The H2 is your best bet. You can easily make cheap compatible DVD-R discs from the hard drive with no picture quality loss.
    The editing on the Panny's is second to none while the + format is closer to none.

The brilliant (FR) flexible rate function on the Panny's is also a good reason to forget about the limiting linear recording technology from the + camp.

3. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malcom,

Thanks for the response, but as I said the HS2 does not fulfil the needs I have for a DVD recorder.
    An example being, I want to record lets say world superbikes on Eurosport.
    If I record on HS2 I can only watch on the TV connected to the HS2,
    However if I recorded on +RW I could watch on any of the TV’s in the house as the +RW is compatible with my two DVD players
    This is a regular occurrence as I want to watch some motorsport that I have recorded, that the rest of the family does not want to watch.
    Currently I can achieve this by having various VCR’s within the house.
    This is why compatibility is important to me, I don’t want to have to purchase 3 recorders, just to record onto DVD.
    Whilst I agree that –R media is cheap, I do not believe it is cheap enough to watch once and then discard.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you make do with watching it on your PC, DVD-RAM compatible drives are dirt cheap these days, even on ebay!

Thats what I do anyway.

DaveP

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I see your point. But have you read the DVDRplus forum just so you know what you are getting into.........

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Skid Solo,

As you can see from most of the posts the Panasonic range is by far the most preferred (not surprising as it is a home cinema forum). And what Malcom has said is correct - the Panasonic HS2 is streets and streets ahead of anything else at the moment. With DVD-R disks so cheap (available for around £1 each), and as they are THE most compatible media then do you really need re-writeable media?

If the anser is still yes (you should be aware do have a finite life) then you should consider the upcoming JVC DVD-RAM/DVD-RW/DVD-R recorder (available in 2 months). This will give you the benefit of a RAM recorder whilst also allowing you to use DVD-RW. If you don't want to wait then you only current option is the Sony DVD-RW (which is somewhat expensive for what it is).

If your considering DVD+RW you might as well stay with VHS as it offers no more functionality than a top of the range DVD Recorder. Especially now it's price advantage has gone.

I can confirm DVD-Rs and DVD-RW work in the Toshiba 210E. It may also be of interest that DVD+RW did not work in my 210E even after trying the tips on www.dvdrhelp.com which was irrating as I had the Philips 1000 back then.

7. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, Thanks for the Info, the JVC DVD-RAM/DVD-RW/DVD-R recorder looks really interesting, do you know where I can find any details ?
    I have a had a quick look on the internet, but could only find the JVC XV-DDV1, which appears to be a hard disk recorder, but a DVD player only.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    I can promise you the last place you'll find details are the JVC website :D (they don't update it that often).

You find a brief mention in the current issue of HCC. You'll find some details at:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=3944
    (that link may change but it will be around there - hunt around if your not taken straight to it!)

Due in September (read October) according to WVWE.