DVD Recording from Sky+

Renrag

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am about to purchase a DVD Recorder but have a niggle regarding the quality of output to the DVD available from my Amstrad P3 Sky+ box. The normal "Copy" output is via the VCR Scart connection which is only composite o/p. The question is in order to get RGB o/p to the DVD, must I use the TV Scart socket and purchase a Scart switch. Also does the Copy facility o/p to the TV Scart or should I record in the normal play mode ? Please can any one help me regarding these two questions?

Renrag said:
The question is in order to get RGB o/p to the DVD, must I use the TV Scart socket and purchase a Scart switch. Also does the Copy facility o/p to the TV Scart or should I record in the normal play mode ? Please can any one help me regarding these two questions?

The "Copy" facility outputs from both scarts so if you want to record in RGB you must take it from the "TV Scart" output on the Sky box.
You may not need a scart switchbox if you just loopthrough the TV Scart output into AV2 of the DVDR and output from AV1 of the DVDR into the TV.
Most people use the "Copy" facility instead of "Play" due to the fact you can "Cue up" all the recordings you want to copy...one after the other in whatever order you want...just bear in mind it outputs in real time and you cannot watch anything else on Sky while copying.

Thank you very much JayCee for a very lucid answer. Another option I thought of since posting would be to use S-Video o/p for recording. Do you know whether there will be any drop in quality compared with RGB Scart ?

I would think that s-video will give you pretty good results, just remember that you'll need separate audio connections as well, as s-video doesn't cater for audio.

Cheers,

Martin.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom