1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recording from Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dickdastardly, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Dickdastardly

Dickdastardly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering buying a DVD recorder to archive from Sky +. Would the Dolby 5.1 soundtrack from movies be recorded? I would have thought the encoding was embedded in the digital file, but the man at Richer Sounds, He say no! Anyone know for sure and/or recommend a good recorder?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    There are no DVD recorders at the moment that will record 5.1 from any source.

3. Dickdastardly

Dickdastardly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that information. Are there any alternatives? eg would a hard drive recorder capture the 5.1, or a suitably equiped PC. Having just had my 80% full 250 GB HDD fail, I'm eager to backup in the future.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Personal opinion only but considering the budget and discounted prices of 6-12 month old movies on DVD then anythign worth copying from SKY+ to DVD is worth buying:)

There will be recorders capable of capturing DD5.1 soundtracks in the near future and it can be done with PC hardware although the precise method is unknown to me, I've just read it can be done:)

5. Dickdastardly

Dickdastardly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    I think you'll be much better off buying the DVDs - they will be better quality than the Sky broadcast. I cancelled Sky Movies some time ago and started buying DVDs, then I joined a rental club (cheaper than Sky Movies) and rent the ones that I either don't want to buy or not sure if I want to buy or not.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    DVD has seriously undermined SKY movies. SKY had a good advantage when VHS was king with a long leadtime between cinema/rental and sell through.
    The video and audio quality of DVD is on the whole better than SKY movies and the removing of rental windows and shortening of cinema runs has meant rental and retail sales have risen which have to reduce the "value" of a bundled subscription movie channel.

However I've just had SKY movies over the holidays and seen a couple of dozen movies I hadn't seen before and quite a few I'd never heard of (some bad and some good) which for the price was good value.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Some of the movies that I've already seen via the Blockbuster Unlimited Rental are only just appearing on Sky Box Office. The only advantage that I can see with Sky movies is that they show a lot of movies in 16:9 and not in their native resolution, which is a good thing with plasma TV.