1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recording from Integrated Digital Sony TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by robinclark, Jul 25, 2004.

1. robinclark

robinclark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, This is my first post here so forgive me if this subject has already been discussed (though I couldn't find it). I have a Sony TV with integrated digital TV tuner. The digital aerial signal is going straight into the TV for best signal. My question is given that there are no integrated digital tuner DVD HDD recorders on the market yet, if I purchase a HDD DVD recorder (e.g. Pioneer 520/720) will the recording be in digital (i.e. from the Sony tuner) or in analogue (i.e. from the DVD tuner) ? There seems little point in recording onto a digital medium from an analogue source signal. Regards Robin

2. IanK

IanK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Sony KD32DX200 and a Panasonic E85. I've set the TV up with Scart 3 (Non RGB unfortunately)Output set to the digital tuner output. I've then ran a scart lead from Scart 3 to the Input Scart on the DVD recorder.

Then it's possible to watch analogue TV whilst recording digital to DVD or watch a DVD recording whilst recording the output from the digital tuner.

So basically you're still recording an analogue signal via Scart. However the pictures got to be better than if you record from the analogue tuner in the E85!

I'm not aware of any IDTV's that have a digital output.

Regards,

Ian

3. robinclark

robinclark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian

Thanks for your reply. I have just trawled through Nottingham's so called finest audio video stores only to find that I was able to update the sales people on the latest HDD/DVD models from the main players.

I suspect that my best bet is to dive in, purchase and "plug and pray". I have however learnt that as scart is an analogue device I am always going to go via analogue - and as you say its got to be better than what I've got.

At the moment the Pioneer 520 is looking favourite. Pioneer have just announced up to £75 trade-in on your old VCR/DVD player so that brings the Pioneer close to the Toshiba price.

Once again many thanks for your reply.

Regards

Robin

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    robinclark,

Welcome to the forums - I must have overlooked your post originally - so forgive the late reply.

First and foremost you don't need to worry about issues like that for Digital. If the Digital tuner can 'see' the digital signal then it can decode it and you will get the best possible picture your kit can provide. If it can't see it, or gets a very poor signal, you will either get no picture or a virtually unwatchable one.

Obviously your Sony TV has the ability to decode Digital transmissions as it has an integrated DVB (Digital Video Broadcasting) tuner. This is fantastic for watching programmes on your TV but not so great for recording on a DVD recorder as it is unlikely your TV will output the best possible quality (an RGB Scart connection). Accordingly in the longer term you may want to think about a seperate set-top box. But that is irrelevant for now.

Yes Scart is always analogue. When recording from Freeview onto a DVDR the follow (general) process happens:

1) The Digital Signal is decoded by a DVB tuner (be it in your TV/set-top).
    2) The digital picture goes through a Digital to Analogue Convertor (DAC)
    3) The analogue signal travels through appropriate cabling
    4) The DVD recorder's ADC (Analogue to Digital Convertor) reverts the signal to Digital

As you can see whatever happens the signal will pass through the analogue domain. This will remain so until the 'Digital Scart' - HDMI (High Definition Multi-media Interface) comes of age. But forget about that for now as it will be a year before it's relevant in this area!

The Toshiba RDXS32 is a better model for a number of reasons: progressive scan/component output (even if you don't use these now you may if/when you upgrade your TV), significantly better 'authoring' options and DVD-RAM (in addition to DVD-RW). Certainly most of the recent posters here have gone for the Toshiba RDXS32 - there is nothing wrong with the Pioneer models but they just come in with slightly less features than the equivalently priced Toshiba/Panasonic models. Whatever though you won't go seriously wrong with Pioneer, Panasonic or Toshiba models...

5. robinclark

robinclark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak

Many thanks for the reply. I have been away so have only just managed to look again at the forums.

Thank you for clarifying the not so digital to digital route between an IDTV and a DVD recorder.

After a lot of deliberation I opted for the Pioneer - the £75 trade in worked for me as I had an old non working VCR and after downloading both full operating manuals I just gelled with the pioneer (what a sad so and so I must be for downloading and printing off 100+page manuals and then reading them!!!) Also I said that either way this was a learning process - to tide me over until integrated digital tuners arrive in the DVD recorders and, as you point out, "digital scart". I saw something about a Pioneer 920 which is an HDMI model but at an indicated price of over £1200 thats for later. In addition it was very difficult to find the Tosh. I have just recorded, edited and burned my first movie onto DVD-R and over VCR it is just fantastic.

Once again many thanks.

Regards

Robin

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Excellent robinclark, glad your happy with your machine. :thumbsup: It will be a while before HDMI filters down to cheaper DVDRs so no need to worry about that yet.

7. robinclark

robinclark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak

Yes - I'm saving up as we speak.

Cheers

Robin