DVD recording/editing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hillbilly1, May 4, 2007.

1. hillbilly1

hillbilly1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I bought a dv camcorder a few months ago (thanks to everyone in the camcorder forum!) and now wish to buy a DVD recorder to "burn" my home movies (a little editing facility would be nice like fade-in/out, just the basics will do!), and of course to record (widescreen) TV & Sky. I have done a little research but I dont seem to be getting anywhere...can anyone point me in the right direction, or perhaps recommend a couple of recorders ?
    any feedback/advice would be appreciated

2. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    You'll want to start by considering DVD recorders with a DV IN (i-Link or 1394) input so you can connect your camcorder digitally directly into it.

If you want to edit your videos, a hard drive may be useful to copy video from the camcorder to, then you can edit and then burn the final DVD when you are ready.

3. hillbilly1

hillbilly1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

yes the DV-in is a must!, just need (I would like!) a basic editing facility.
    thanks for your reply:thumbsup:

4. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    A hard drive is essential if you intend to edit home movies with the recorder, and is highly desirable even if you're only going to record broadcast TV and Sky because (a) you can use it like a PVR, i.e. watch and wipe many recordings without ever putting them on a DVD, (b) you can tidy up recordings you want to keep before committing them to DVD, (c) recording to the hard drive is more reliable than recording to DVD (if you record a programme directly to a duff disc you can't try again, unlike copying from the hard disk), and (d) you can copy recordings from the hard disk to DVD at high speed.

I don't know all the editing facilities on the various machines out there, but I think you will be limited to cuts, it's unlikely that you will be able to fade in/out. If you want to do that you will probably need to use a PC.

I would advise you to choose a leading make (Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony). Take a look at the Panasonic EX75 or EX85, or the about to be released EX77/87 models. One type of editing you can use is playlist editing, where you select the entry and exit points in the source material on the hard disk (by creating chapters) then copy the playlist to a DVD to create the edited result while leaving the source material intact.

5. hillbilly1

hillbilly1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    thanks for your reply, I am looking at the DVD recorder to record home movies as using the PC is v slow, what kind of transfer speed can I expect from the hard drive on the recorder ? (will it not be similar ?)

6. Paul68

Paul68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hillbilly.

Why not get software for your pc. I use pinnacle which is great for editing.
    Got mine off ebay last year for £20. You can put photos on there to music, fade shots in & out, edit video footage etc etc.

Just done a dvd of eurodisney, starts off with a title, pics of my daughters fading in & out with music in the background, then fades out to the video footage.
    Personally i think its the best way to go

7. hillbilly1

hillbilly1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Paul68,

thanks for your reply. I actually have pinnacle, I just thought that it took a long time using a PC (although I have to admit you can do a lot with the footage). As I am replacing my VHS anyway, I thought why not get a DVD recorder that I can also use for my camcorder..

8. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    I agree that using a dedicated DVD recorder is a more simple and direct procedure than PC editing... but it is less flexible.

As long as you are prepared for the fact that the editing capability of DVDR's is rudimentary, you should be OK.

I agree with Malodonian's comments above about it being unlikely that there are any machines which have fade in / out editing features... Straight cutting is basically the limit... and though you can do some scene re-ordering etc, these devices are not refined enough to do extensive editing.

If you accept that limitation you should have no problems.

I also second Maldonian's comments about sticking with the big brand names that he mentions.

Re your comments about transfer speed - Transfer from Camcorder to hard disk will be in real time... but thereafter, after editing, you have the option of transferring to disk at high-speed. [ Typically about a fifth of the time - all variables considered ].

9. hillbilly1

hillbilly1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    great stuff, thank you all for your comments & advice :smashin: