DVD Recording compatibility

C

captaintom

I had recorded several VHS tapes to DVD. Unfortunately I found that they were not compatible with other DVDs.

I posted on this site but received answers that I frankly did not understand.

Let me come at this another way: Are there DVD recorders our there that will record dvds that will be playable on other DVD players?

Thanks for any advice.

Capt Tom

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Let me come at this another way: Are there DVD recorders our there that will record dvds that will be playable on other DVD players?

Thanks for any advice.

Capt Tom

All DVD recorders will record DVDs that will be playable on other DVD players. No DVDR manufacturer is going to market a machine that is incapable of burning discs that can be played on any other machine. Or if they did market such a machine, they wouldn't advertise the fact. Your problems were most likely caused by either not finalising discs on the original DVDR, by using cheap and nasty blank discs that are not readable by hardly anything, or by using DVD-RAM discs which most other DVD players and DVD recorders cannot read.

For compatibility with other machines, make sure that you use DVD-R or DVD+R, make sure you use blank discs of a reputable name, and make sure you finalise the disc(s) after you have finished recording.

ChainsawDude

Are there DVD recorders our there that will record dvds that will be playable on other DVD players?
Yes.
Important: Make sure you finalise the DVD on the recorder before trying it in a player.

I note your recorder is a Liteon DD510. A very old player may have compatibility problems with recordable discs like DVD+RW.
Please say what player you have?

Gavtech

Administrator

Having reviewed your earlier postings, I see that you have been finalising your disks so that is not the problem.

But you are asking the wrong question.

What you need to do is research what disk support the other player that at present will not play your disks, actually support, and make disks in that format.
That information will be found in the specification section of the relevant manual.

DVD-R has the most widespread compatibility.

All that Broadz says above is relevant too.

C

captaintom

I think the issue may be that the LiteOn is not recording in a format compatible with my otehr DVD player (Panasonic).

I am going to check and will let you know what I uncover.

Thanks for the comments.

Capt Tom

C

captaintom

Took a while to realize I actually had two issues.

First the Liteon DVD recorder I had was not working properly. I have since returned it and bought a Panasonic in its place.

The problem I was having with the recoded DVDs not playing on another DVD player was, as was pointed out here, that the second DVD player was -R and I had been recording to +R. (Feel dumb!) The new DVD player records and plays to all formats. I tested it and it works fine.

Now hooking all of that thru my Onkyo surround sound system was another (eventually successful) story.

Thanks for your advice and help.

Capt Tom

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom