1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recording advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dunlop73, Aug 13, 2003.

1. dunlop73

dunlop73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi
    I have a Philips DVDR890 (well I will when it returns from its' second trip to Belgium:mad: ) and a Pioneer 105 DVD-r in my PC.

I am sick and tired of the Philips and if I could afford it I would ditch it and replace it with a Panasonic HS2 or similar, but that is for the future. What I want to know is - can I just use +RW discs on the Philips (which appear to be more reliable than +R discs) and then edit them on the PC and copy to -R?

What software do I use - I have Pinnacle Studio 8 and Nero?

Sorry if this is a dumb question - I am loathed to experiment as I have wasted SO many blank +R's in the Philips machine.

Thanks.

Jon

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Yes but you'll need a programme that can import the video stream from the DVD-Video file format. That limits your options slightly but programmes like TMPG Enc Author will see you right:

http://www.pegasys-inc.com

There's a time limited demo you can try. They will allows you to add menus etc and then export as DVD-Video file format to your HDD after which you can burn to disk using Nero (or similar).

I should stress if your going to do this DO NOT USE THE EDITTING features on the Philips as if you do you'll be encoding unwanted data forever into your recordings. TMPG Author has editting facilities to enable you to avoid unwanted sections.

There are other options should you not like TMPG Enc Author. Ulead Moviestudio for example.

If your going down the PC route and run into trouble you'll find tons of support at:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/

3. dunlop73

dunlop73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Rasczak,
    I wish I had read some of your posts before parting with £500 for the Philips!

Jon

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    I originally purchased the Philips DVDR1000 (at a little under £1000) when it first appeared in the UK. Oh well it's only money :D

On a serious note, if you have stuff you want to archive but don't want to invest in a new recorder there are some work arounds - although not entirely satisfactory.

Say you want to archive a series to DVDR (episodes in 45min sections with 15min adverts) with three episodes on each disk:

1) Record each programme on it's own DVD+RW in top quality mode (1hr per DVD+RW) and the copy to your PC HDD.

2) Now you need to extract the video file from the .VOB into a video file - this is no easy task given .VOB files are specifically designed to prevent easy access to the data - but there are some programmes that will enable you to do this although all have hurdles you must overcome (audio sync, picture freezing etc). This is quite a complex process but you can work your way through it. Repeat 1 and 2 for the other two episodes

3) Now you need to do some sums. If 4.5GB is to be 100% then the episode content from each DVD+RW must be 33.3% (1.5GB). Therefore each DVD+RW must be re-encoded (using a programme like TMPG Encoder) to 2GB on the basis:

1hr = 2GB which means 1hr - 15mins adverts = 1.5GB

4) You can now import each re-encoded episode (the 2GB file size) into TMPG Author and edit out the adverts. This will mean you can import all three episodes without wasting any space on the disk

The drawbacks - well your still limited to the DVD+RW maximum bitrate of 9.7MBits/Second, you still have no VBR (although this will be heaviliy compensated for by TMPG Encoder when you re-encode) and the process is quite complex.

The Digital Digest forums will be able to help with the problems you encounter if you go down this route.