1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recording advice required

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scrapbook, Oct 6, 2005.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I want to start dabling with DVD recordings on my PC so need some advice please.

- Firstly is there much difference between LG/Liteon/Philips and Freecom when picking a double sided DVD drive?

I will be using the DVD RW for two main reasons:

- to transfer old videos to DVD so what is the best software and hardware to use for this purpose?

- to back up the odd DVD film so what would be the best software for this?

Thanks for any help!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Personally I have owned 2 Pioneer DVD recorders, but this is just personal choice. I think that most of the recorders are fairly good now as I've not heard any nightmare stories of a particular drive.
    If you want to edit the video before creating the DVD then the current favorites in the £40-£50 region are:
    Adobe Premiere Elements
    Ulead Video Studio
    Sony Vegus Studio
    Pinnacle Studio (version 10 aboput to be released!)

all the above include basic DVD authoring.
    If you want to just create a DVD from the video as captured then Ulead DVD MovieFactory is good for this with more advance authoring, but very basic editing features. It can be bought for around £30.
    I use the free program DVDShrink to backup DVD's. This will even let you remove adverts/trailers and other languages etc so the film will fit on a single layer DVD (will even reencode to fit on the disc if required).

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    To get analogue video (VHS etc) onto the PC the best option I've seen is the Canopus ADVC converters. There are several models with different features and prices. Most are external devices that connect via firewire to the PC, but there is also an internal PCI card version. They cost from about £150 up depending on the model.
    IMO the cheap (~£30) USB2.0 analogue capture devices are poor quality and often put the video & audio out of sync. I would therefore suggest avoiding them unless it is just for a couple of tapes in which case spending £150+ may well be too much.

Mark.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Any one tried Movie Clone 3 gold out of interest?