DVD Recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davecabezo, Jan 15, 2005.

1. davecabezo

davecabezo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi M8s,
    I am thinking of buying a DVD recorder to replace my broken VCR. Are they a viable alternative. How many times do they record over a DVD-RW disc. What is the maximum recording time on a DVD-RW. Can the DVD recorders record in LP or compress data to give longer recording times. Can you insert a menu onto a DVD-RW like a normal DVD has.Is there a great deal of difference between makes or types of DVD-RW discs. Are DVD+RW any better than -RW as My existing DVD player will not play DVD+R discs????
    I would have gone for a hard drive recorder but here in Tenerife a DVD recorder is less than 200 Eu whereas a Hard drive recorder is more than 600 Eu.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    If you buy the best quality DVD-RW discs (no need to spend more than 90p each though) the claim is that they will re-record 1000 times.

As with VHS, cramming more onto the space available results in deteriorating quality. SP = 2hrs (far better quality than VHS), LP = 4hrs (similar quality to average VHS), EP = 6hrs (getting a bit ropey, like LP VHS). In between modes are available on some machines and FINE mode (1hr) is extra high quality.

Editing facilites are extensive in DVD-RW VR mode, more basic in DVD-RW Video mode. If you are playing discs mostly on your own machine you would use VR mode routinely and you will be able to edit the night away. Video mode makes the disc more compatible with other machines (although a finalised VR mode disc may also work on another machine) and only basic editing is available, but this will still probably be enough for you.
    There is a huge difference. I recommend you read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    SVP are a great supplier.
    No. In that case don't even bother with +.

Have you checked out the excellent Pioneer 420 locally?

3. davecabezo

davecabezo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry M8s,
    I should have mentioned that I'm brand new to this format and don't know much about DVD +R, -R etc. There appears to be so much to learn ie: What are printable DVDs? the list goes on. I'm sure I'm now in the right place to learn and will search the forum as often as I can.
    Cheers M8s

4. davecabezo

davecabezo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the excelent reply Capt'n. The above post was compiled as you replied. I will certainly take up your advice.
    Regards Dave C

5. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Ah yes, there is a lot to absorb. A DVD recorder will do everything a VCR does but do it a lot better. You won't miss anything by switching over and you will gain a lot in many respects. It's difficult to know where to start without knowing more about what you want to use it for and what you'll be connecting it to.
    One thing to be wary of though is that you will want to stick to the best brands - just read the huge threads on this forum of problem after problem with the cheaper brand machines and you'll be convinced of this.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And don't bother with printable top discs.As nice as they can look after you print a design on them,they can cause playback problems on some players,in the same way as labelled discs can.For maximum chance of no problems,forget labels and printables