DVD Recorders?

Rob Sheep

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, can someone help? I want to buy a DVD recorder, I've read tons of reviews but I'm still scratching my head. I've looked at the Sony GX-7 but it looks a little over priced. So I've had the GX-3 suggested to me (Multi-region) for £429, is this a good price and what does anyone think of the player? As a note, I'll be using it to watch bought DVD's and will only make the odd recording, I need to know if the picture quality is as good as the GX-7. The idea of having one box instead of two appeals to my wife (yeah, OK under the thumb and all that but you know how it is). I look forward to any info.:clap:

According to reviews the sony is the best recorder out there for picture quality, another thing to note is that you can get it for around £390 multiregion on the internet.

Frank

I got my GX3 from Comet (yeah I know!) and paid £450 for a standard region2 machine.
I was impatient at the time but even so do not regret it for one second,great machine even if I did pay over the odds for it!

With the HS2 HDD/DVDR combo now going for £499,paying the prices asked for the Sony is a bit of a waste.The addition of +RW to the Sony is little more than a gimmick.It does not offer all the features of +RW,and does not record to +R at all.

Originally posted by phelings
With the HS2 HDD/DVDR combo now going for £499,paying the prices asked for the Sony is a bit of a waste.The addition of +RW to the Sony is little more than a gimmick.It does not offer all the features of +RW,and does not record to +R at all.

Unless he's not interested in editing and just wants the best possible PQ.

And for that the GX7 blows the HS2 I once had into the weeds.

Thanks, PQ is top of the list each time, the recording side of it will only ever be used once or twice a week, I just want to make sure that 1. The PQ is high, 2. It is easy to use (wife friendly), 3. the disks will work on friends and families machines.

The only "problem" I have found with the GX3 (same as most probably) is it is slow to do anything,when you load a blank disc it takes a little while to recognise the disc and then format it ready for use.
It's not a case of sticking a disc straight in and pressing record,you have to plan ahead and be ready when what you want to record starts.
I got the GX3 as it records in RGB which I wanted for the best possible picture quality from Sky and the fact that the -R/-RW format was compatable wtih my laptop as well,the +RW capability for me was an "extra" and not something I was too worried about.
It depends on how "friendly" your wife wants the machine to be,if it is just to play discs then its the same as a normal machine,if you want to record there is a bit more to it.
In order for any discs you record to be playable on a "normal" player the disc will need to be finalized as it wont be recognised by the other machines.

Is GX-7 PQ/SQ same as GX-3?
Someone must have done an A/B comparison to find out why it costs double!

Look on pricerunner
The price of the gx3 was down to £230 last week
The same price i paid for a pioneer 220
still top price on the high st

Rob Sheep said:
Hi Guys, can someone help? I want to buy a DVD recorder, I've read tons of reviews but I'm still scratching my head. I've looked at the Sony GX-7 but it looks a little over priced. So I've had the GX-3 suggested to me (Multi-region) for £429, is this a good price and what does anyone think of the player? As a note, I'll be using it to watch bought DVD's and will only make the odd recording, I need to know if the picture quality is as good as the GX-7. The idea of having one box instead of two appeals to my wife (yeah, OK under the thumb and all that but you know how it is). I look forward to any info.:clap:

Make sure you get a multi region player. Slightly more expensive, btu if you're prepared to order from Canada/USA etc.. you'll save a fortune on uk prices, even internet prices. i.e. brand new film releases are £11 inc del from dvdsoon, (Canada), but usually £15 from play.com, (uk versions). Plus you'll often get them months in advance etc...

Have you thought about Panasonics dmr 85? with 80 GB HDD, ram/-r compatibility and pal/ntsc progressive outputs, I feel it offers far better value for money than Sony's range of recorders. Can be bought for £450 on the net and seems to be the number 1 dvd recorder for a number of HC mags at the moment. How it compares with with the Sony in terms of playback of pre-recorded dvd's 'm not exactly sure. Still it's always scored 5/5 for playback in mag reviews.

where? which models etc....all the 160GB models I have seen are in the £650+ price range. i.e. Pan 95.

You can pick up the 160GB JVC MH30 for around £520, the Panasonic E95 for around £620 and the Pioneer 720 for around £570.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom